Successful Door Knocking Tips Question?

I have found success knocking on lead cards rather than calling. I knock to set an appointment. Most of my new business (outside of referrals) comes from knocking.

If you are going cold, perhaps get a list of people who are on Medicare so you can lead with Medicare Supps. It's easier to get in the door if you are focused on one particular product line that is relevant to the person answering the door.

If you have to knock really cold and random, I'd focus on setting the appointment for a later time, unless they are willing of course. Try to fact find on the spot if they are reluctant...just ask as many questions as they will answer. Find a need and set a time to come back and address that need.

With residential, I'd have to say that it is much easier if you have a response card from them than completely cold knocking.

It was about that time that I usually had warmer things to work on every day.
If I was a new agent with no database I would definitely be doorknocking again.
It's kind of like eating right and exercising. The further you get away from it the less you ever thing about doing it.

Scott,

What lines did you sell back when you knocked?

It was about that time that I usually had warmer things to work on every day.
If I was a new agent with no database I would definitely be doorknocking again.
It's kind of like eating right and exercising. The further you get away from it the less you ever thing about doing it.

Make sure you wear a football or motorcycle helmet to protect your face from door slamming! 

If you're counting on needing a helmet to protect your face during doorknocking, you're probably in the wrong business. The skin on my head is thick enough that I require no helmet. Also, I've had PLENTY of people on DK's say "no", but I've never once had anyone slam the door in my face.

Last edited:
I started as an insurance agent 3 years ago. I have gained 100% of my new business through door knocking and referrals from those clients. My target market is seniors and the best target is people turning 65. More than 80% of people turning 65 are DNCs (do not calls) so the only legal ways to reach them are by mail and door to door. I now have a client base of 500 and most of them are within 5 to 10 miles of my house because that is where I targeted my door knocking.

My suggestions:

1. Begin with a good lead list. I use Medicare Supplements as my lead product. I have information on people turning 65 in an app on my smart phone and also on my Garmin. I could do it from a paper list but having it electronically makes it more convenient and efficient

2. Discipline yourself to door knock every week until you meet your goal. Set a challenging goal: how many new appointments you want. My goal was 15 per week starting out. Now my goal is 8 because I have other appointments to make (referrals, service calls).

3. Door knock when they are most likely to be home. Best time is Saturday because many people turning 65 are still working. Evenings are good also but in the fall and winter it gets dark too early and makes that difficult. Sunday afternoon is a good fallback if you haven't met your goal. However, in the beginning I door knocked all the time. I was either running appointments or making appointments. You need to build a business fast so you can have a base of clients for renewals and referrals.

4. Have a good brief introduction script and be well prepared to handle objections.

5. The obvious: be warm, friendly, make and keep eye contact. Use their first name often if you know it.

6. After the appointment, get to know them better right there on the porch (how long they lived there; working or retired; spouse's first name (if you don't have it); children/grandchildren in the area; phone number to call if you should be delayed; etc. Make a statement of value to solidify the appointment (People tell me this was the most important and useful thing they did all month.")

7. If the appointment is more than a few days out, send a hand written thank you note. It reminds them of the appointment and can resolve their "remorse" about having set the appointment and especially for the spouse who wasn't present when you made the appointment.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Awesome first post DKinPA!

I always have much better success cold door knocking T-65's than for any other type of insurance. Just have to work them a little farther out from their birthday than everyone else does.

Introduce yourself, first and last name as you hand them a business card.

I just stopped by to introduce myself and drop off some information about the new Plan N that Medicare recently released. Unless your agent stays in touch with you, you may not be aware of it. It is priced about 35% less than the other Med Supp plans . The most attractive part is that you don’t have to answer any health questions to qualify for it.

The plan I’m speaking of is an excellent investment of your premium dollar. I would be glad to explain it further if you have a couple of minutes. My time and the information is free. (Big smile)

(Then push them out of the way and fight your way to the kitchen table. Haha)

That was a great post, RIP Frank. I would love to DK seniors for medsupps, but OH doesn't allow it. I would follow this script (with the exception of the line; regardless of your health) if I had to dk.

Introduce yourself, first and last name as you hand them a business card.

I just stopped by to introduce myself and drop off some information about the new Plan N that Medicare recently released. Unless your agent stays in touch with you, you may not be aware of it. It is priced about 35% less than the other Med Supp plans . The most attractive part is that you don’t have to answer any health questions to qualify for it.

The plan I’m speaking of is an excellent investment of your premium dollar. I would be glad to explain it further if you have a couple of minutes. My time and the information is free. (Big smile)

(Then push them out of the way and fight your way to the kitchen table. Haha)

That was a great post, RIP Frank. I would love to DK seniors for medsupps, but OH doesn't allow it. I would follow this script (with the exception of the line; regardless of your health) if I had to dk.
That no underwriting thing didn't turn out so well. Haha.

Introduce yourself, first and last name as you hand them a business card. I just stopped by to introduce myself and drop off some information about the new Plan N that Medicare recently released. Unless your agent stays in touch with you, you may not be aware of it. It is priced about 35% less than the other Med Supp plans . The most attractive part is that you don't have to answer any health questions to qualify for it. The plan I'm speaking of is an excellent investment of your premium dollar. I would be glad to explain it further if you have a couple of minutes. My time and the information is free. (Big smile) (Then push them out of the way and fight your way to the kitchen table. Haha) That was a great post, RIP Frank. I would love to DK seniors for medsupps, but OH doesn't allow it. I would follow this script (with the exception of the line; regardless of your health) if I had to dk.

It was a great post but horrible advice. I guess maybe not in his state if they were GI to move every birthday.

Back