Surety Bond $15k but putting a lower limit pay out

SJDG

Hi and thank you for your time. I had a roofing contractor leave our job unfinished and multiple damages, tried to contact him many times and he vanished. Before I signed contract I checked to make sure he was licensed and bonded. Later to find out he couldn't find qualified roofers so he left my job with damages from his workers and unfinished and decided to close his business. He didn't pull a permit, multiple damages, many things left unfinished including sealing the roof! so when first rains came lots of leaks and further damages. I had complete documentation of everything and proved my case with one of his surety bond(s), but here's the question.....The surety bond was for $15k and was told upfront that was the maximum I could get reimbursed, there were no other claims against it (although he has many customers in same boat as me) but I guess I figured out how to file/submit a claim and they didn't. The bond company said I proved my case and are paying out 1/2 because that the house is not my primary residence. This seems ODD to me, what should it matter if the house is my rental? They said I proved my case but they pay 1/2 on claims that aren't a primary residence. It is normal with surety bonds that are $15k to pay half when the poor-unfinished workmanship was done on a house that we rent to our son? Thanks for any advice/information on this.

Latest posts

Back