Who will pay the damaged car's storage fee?

oldyoungguy

My car was involved in a 3-car accident caused by a left-turn car 12 days ago. Somehow the left-turn car's insurance company still does not take liability. My car is still in the towing lot. My question is will the insurance company who takes the liability pay/reimburse the storage fee? I don't have collision insurance. I only bought third-party insurance. So my insurance company cannot help me with this.

Are there 7 days storage limit? Are the faulty driver's insurance company will pay ALL (towing, storage) related costs, no matter how long it is to stay there?

There's no limit to the amount of storage fees that can be charged. And they could mount up until they are worth more than your car. It could be months before liability is decided on a 3 car accident and you could be hit with all or a big part of the storage bill.

That's because of the legal doctrine of mitigation. In negligence claims the damaged person has a duty to mitigate the amount of damages or his claim can be reduced by his failure to mitigate.

A person making a left turn who causes an accident is usually at fault but there are exceptions.

I suggest that you figure out a way to get your car out of the tow yard ASAP and someplace where the fees are less, or maybe have it towed to your home, if feasible. You will, of course, have to pay to get your car out but you should get reimbursed once liability is established.

Back