Telemarketers and Commissions

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
Do any of you use telemarketers?

If so, how do you pay them? ie: % commision if you make a sale, hourly, flat rate per appt?

Re: Telemarketers

I pay mine an hourly and a bonus based on their ability to do what I asked them to do. That let's them focus more on making sure they're doing their job right vs trying to come up with a new approach because they don't think what I'm telling them to do will work. If you want good telemarketers, you have to pay them well. Telemarketers are in high demand and all legalities aside, they don't need to take commission jobs.

Hourly plus bonus for closed sales. I agree with Josh, telemarketing is really hard and there is a ton of turnover if you do not pay slightly above market and provide a good working environment. I probably go a little too far by providing benefits to my telemarketer but she shows up everyday and grinds for 8 hours with good results.

Several ways to do this...my two cents.

-Give them a grace period to be trained and learn i.e. maybe a 3-5 days.
-Give them a quote to meet per hour i.e. 2 leads or 2 appts per hour.
-Anything over the quote per hour give them an addl one dollar per hour for "that" hour. Cuts your lead cost down.
-Give them incentives ($10-$25) if you get an appt, application or approved application.

You can personalize this to what works best for you, but don't step up the payment too quickly. You can always increase their pay, but may not look good if you take it away. Hope this helps if only a little.

Thanks for your help guys

seems hourly plus some kind of bonus plan seems to be the way to go.

what kind of hourly rate is suggested? $8.00/hr seem fair with a bonus plan?

I would start at $8-10 and work your way up from there. Again, it's easier to go up than going down. Good luck!

I would start at $8-10 and work your way up from there. Again, it's easier to go up than going down. Good luck!

That's going to vary by area, but $8 sounds awfully low. To find someone competent, even in an with low wages, at least $10 is what it will take to find a good telemarketer. I wouldn't be shy about going up to at least $12 if not closer to $15. An extra $2-$5/hour shouldn't hurt your profitability much, but it makes a big difference in the type of person you can hire.

That's going to vary by area, but $8 sounds awfully low. To find someone competent, even in an with low wages, at least $10 is what it will take to find a good telemarketer. I wouldn't be shy about going up to at least $12 if not closer to $15. An extra $2-$5/hour shouldn't hurt your profitability much, but it makes a big difference in the type of person you can hire.

I agree that $8 an hour is low but I think it is definitely a good starting wage. I believe you have to pay them bonuses though because if they are straight hourly then they have no motivation to produce leads. I pay $8 an hour plus $10 per kept appointment. For med supps it isn't hard to produce 1 appt per hour with a dialer which would equal $18 an hour.If I had one that stuck around a while I would move them up to $12 an hour plus the $10 appt. In my experience though, it is hard to keep a TM motivated for very long. I had one that was excellent for 4-5 months then I gave her a raise and she sucked after that and quit...

I agree that $8 an hour is low but I think it is definitely a good starting wage. I believe you have to pay them bonuses though because if they are straight hourly then they have no motivation to produce leads.

to some degree it depends on the telemarketer. The best telemarketers I've had are the ones that just wanted a steady hourly. They were genuinely motivated to do a good job because they wanted to keep the hourly wage. Not bonusing them on appointments or anything like that avoided a friction point (wanting to get paid on an appointment that didn't sit, etc) and made their job simpler. For some folks I imagine that wouldn't be the right approach and they would perform better using the bonus model you're talking about though. I've just found those more likely to be flaky and unreliable.

When you make their compensation loaded heavily on leads... they push too hard and you end up with a bunch of crappy leads. That might work for some lines of insurance but for the commercial property owners we target, we only want to spend time working with people that are serious about exploring their options. Weak leads are worse than no leads.

Back