Temporary Insurance License

qfs

Expert
Hello all. I have a family member who would like to begin selling life insurance and resides in Georgia. He worked for mass mutual several years ago yet hasn't been licensed for over 8 years. Does anyone know which carriers will allow him to get appointed/ write business with his temporary license in Georgia? Thus far, the only carriers I found were Foresters & American Amicable.

Thanks!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anyone in Georgia with knowledge of carriers who will appoint agents with a Temporary license???

Last edited:
WTF is a temporary license. I've got an easy solution get a license and you can get appointed with any company.

I've only heard of temp licenses for spouses of licensed individuals on the licensees passing to be able to continue recieving commissions.

Georgia is a state that has a temp lic. It is for 90 days or 180 days, i don't remember.

scotte said:
Georgia is a state that has a temp lic. It is for 90 days or 180 days, i don't remember.

Still don't know why anyone that wants to do this business doesn't get a real license...Who would want to appoint someone who won't have a license in 6 months?

From my recollection in GA the temp license is allowed so the new person can write business but they have to supervised by a fully licensed agent and the full licensed agent must sign off on all applications.

Primerica is a company that will appoint him unless things have changed ocer there.

I didn't ask for an easy solution. I asked if there were any other carriers who appointed agents with temporary licenses. Obviously they will eventually need to get a permanent license. By the way, Georgia allows up to 18 months with extensions for temporary licenses.

qfs said:
I didn't ask for an easy solution. I asked if there were any other carriers who appointed agents with temporary licenses. Obviously they will eventually need to get a permanent license. By the way, Georgia allows up to 18 months with extensions for temporary licenses.

Like I said I've only seen temp licenses for people having to take over an agency upon death of the family memember running it. Sorry I don't have nor care to provide a solution for someone unwilling to get a real license upfront.

Maybe this is why it took them so long to process my license application, they were buried in temp applications. :D

Like I said I've only seen temp licenses for people having to take over an agency upon death of the family memember running it. Sorry I don't have nor care to provide a solution for someone unwilling to get a real license upfront.

Temp licenses are available in three states and not only for reasons you've mentioned. Not everyone is able to get licensed immediately due to varying circumstances. By the way, I am licened in several states for several years under multiple lines. This was for a family member under extreme circumstances. Thanks for your enlightening response.

Last edited:
Tennessee used to let agents go to work for debit companies on a temporary license but doesn't do it any more.. They still allow the spouse or executor of a deceased agent to get out a temporary license in order to close out the estate.

Back