Terminated for cause State Farm

Get a lawyer. They can advise you the best. If you want to stay in this business, you are going to need a lawyer.

A strong case for what?

We don't know if he was a w-2 employee or 1099 independent contractor. We don't know what his contract says about termination for cause.
He has no contract. He wasnt employed by State Farm not a 1099 to state farm

Last edited:
Based on what he's up against, I think the $$ spent on a good attorney is well worth it.

"Good legal advice is expensive. "Free" legal advice is much more expensive"
-Markthebroker

Based on his post, I am surprised the agency is trying to fire him for cause. It must be a small agency. I have seen large agencies refuse to do this sort of thing because it can get you sued. They could have just said cutbacks due to Covid to cover up their intentions.

Based on his post, I am surprised the agency is trying to fire him for cause. It must be a small agency. I have seen large agencies refuse to do this sort of thing because it can get you sued. They could have just said cutbacks due to Covid to cover up their intentions.
I can't tell from the post for sure, but I am guessing word came down from corporate to let him go. They can do that just by pulling his appointment. It sounds like they were making an example out of him.

A strong case for what?

We don't know if he was a w-2 employee or 1099 independent contractor. We don't know what his contract says about termination for cause.

He worked FOR an agent. Which means he was a team member - probably hourly + bonus based on production. That means w-2.

Doesn't matter what that contract says about termination for cause. What matters is that he'd have to disclose that with EVERY new insurance company to be appointed with them. Every application asks if you have ever been terminated for any reason (other than non-production).

If you are as good as you say you will find a place to work. Agencies are always looking for top producers. If I was looking at you, the MVR disclosure issue would be meaningless. You simply ask when you run quotes. The more I read this, it seems there is probably more to the story. My first sentence stands.

I'm guessing they didn't want to not see their unemployment rates rise.

If it was "cutbacks due to Covid" then that's a layoff (though of course unless there's a contract, employers can lay off anyone at any time). But if you can terminate for cause, there's no UI hit.

Back