The Science of Insurance Sales

Xrac,

Very good article. One can never read that and be good at sales just by making enough calls. However, one can be great if they make the calls, learn, and apply as much as they can about this kind of thing.

I've known two very good producers, both Top of the Table, who I thought about when I read this article. They have mastery of that material, even if they don't realize it. Extreme confidence, put people at ease, and extremely persuasive at getting people to listen to their ideas. One is so convinced he is right, that he will just hammer until he gets their attention.

I've done some joint meetings with one of them a few years back. Wish I would have done a lot more of them when I had the chance. I remember one meeting in particular where the prospect was shutting down and saying he wanted to think it over. The producer took his biggest fear and just kept hammering that point. He would not take no for an answer. Only five minutes later, we were doing the paperwork to move over a good sized account.

Unfortunately, my style and tendancy are 180 degrees different. My style is much more "Here is what I do, do you want to talk further or not? If not, no problem." I'm not much of a salesman, although I would like to be. I have to make up for lack of salesmanship by contacting more people.

FT

P.S. That has to be the worst format to read. Is the entire point to not allow people to print the articles?

It is a really bad format. Rick at Topgunproducers strongly dislikes it and I can't blame him. However, I think this magazine is the best insurnance magazine that I receive.

I also liked the idea of using props to sell insurance but I sell mostly commercial insurance. Any ideas what type of props I can bring when I meet with business owners?

Interesting article, BTW. Although I wish I was able to see him in action so I know exactly what he is talking about. The idea of it all is a good one though...

Has anyone used a prop of bundles of cash or at least fake bills. I think that could be very powerful.

I've played with the following idea before:

Everyone in the black neighborhoods I prospect in always knows of someone who had to do a fish fry or put up a stand at a street corner to raise money for a relative's funeral expense.

I've thought about pulling a picture of this off Google (or, better yet, of someone locally who's actually doing this) and show them how embarrassing and heart-breaking it is to have your children go around begging for money to bury you.

Has anyone used a prop of bundles of cash or at least fake bills. I think that could be very powerful.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You could take a real looking hundred dollar bill -- enough for the prospect to think initially it's real -- and rip it in half in front of him, to demonstrate how he's throwing money away with his current policy.

Last edited:
I am thinking in terms of having enough fake $20 in bundles to equal $10,000. If you are doing FE you can say this is how much it takes to do the average funeral. Most people do not have this kind of money. You could then show them something like a $20 or a $50 (depending upon age and health) and say but most people can come up with one of these each month and it will buy this stack of money.

"Props" are an important component in my sales presentation.

Selling intangibles, you have to make an added effort on engaging the visual and touch sensations to connect better to prospects.

I used to use giant, fake $100 bills when I did F2F presentations. Also had a stack of small bills, similar to Monopoly money.

I would give $10 bills in Monopoly money to the prospect while I had the giant $100 bills.

Would you give me three of those little, tiny $10 bills for 10 of my $100 bills?

Can't say it worked every time but it certainly made the presentation go faster and easier.

Has anyone used a prop of bundles of cash or at least fake bills.

Yes, I have.

Back