Thinking of Going Indepedent.

nayers

Expert
NorCal
Before I get flamed, let me tell you first that YES I did skim a number of various threads on the issue, I am just looking for some fresh perspective on the do's and dont's from those who have gone the path, and what I need to do that I haven't thought of...

A little about me:
* I have nearly a decade of P&C experience and about 4 years of life experience
* I live in northern California
* I am a top producer for a major national company who shAll remAin nAmeless for now :)
* Looking to go beyond the corporate and franchised environment where I am hand cuffed and told all of the things I am not allowed to do, with little to no chance to progress or make my own way.
* Want to increase my personal brand and income

Here's is how I expect things to shake down, I need to find a location that has favorable location and terms. I need E&O, and to find 4-5 appointments to start. Then I need to take the savings I have and invest into some basics (furniture, computer, phone system, etc) invest into a comparative rater.

How much did you need to start your agency? What were some of the pit falls? I live in CA which is notorious for strangling small biz. What am I missing? What am I over thinking etc? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

If you used the search function like you said you skimmed,

WHat makes you think we will all tell you something different than we have all told others?

Again, use the search function and for this topic, you will find enough threads to read for 4 months straight.

Unless your cash heavy, your overhead might be your greatest enemy. A lot of folks either don't use an office or maintain a very small one for when clients want to meet them as a way of cutting a major expense.

Although I've never done indy P&C (captive Allstate for a year), one major pitfall most folks have across all lines of insurance is not having a solid marketing plan. If you're a top producer, you probably know how to generate leads. But unfortunately this industry is full of people who are "great at what I do, but I don't know how to get in front of people", when the reality is the "getting in front of people" part is most of what the job is.

Any reason to not start as a fledgling under an agency with the understanding being that you can buy out your book when you are ready and/or have the book be yours from day one?

Before I get flamed, let me tell you first that YES I did skim a number of various threads on the issue, I am just looking for some fresh perspective on the do's and dont's from those who have gone the path, and what I need to do that I haven't thought of...

A little about me:
* I have nearly a decade of P&C experience and about 4 years of life experience
* I live in northern California
* I am a top producer for a major national company who shAll remAin nAmeless for now :)
* Looking to go beyond the corporate and franchised environment where I am hand cuffed and told all of the things I am not allowed to do, with little to no chance to progress or make my own way.
* Want to increase my personal brand and income

Here's is how I expect things to shake down, I need to find a location that has favorable location and terms. I need E&O, and to find 4-5 appointments to start. Then I need to take the savings I have and invest into some basics (furniture, computer, phone system, etc) invest into a comparative rater.

How much did you need to start your agency? What were some of the pit falls? I live in CA which is notorious for strangling small biz. What am I missing? What am I over thinking etc? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Been with Corp Long? Do you know a Patrick Wolfe out of Walnut Creek?

If you used the search function like you said you skimmed,

WHat makes you think we will all tell you something different than we have all told others?

Again, use the search function and for this topic, you will find enough threads to read for 4 months straight.

Thanks for your solid input!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Been with Corp Long? Do you know a Patrick Wolfe out of Walnut Creek?

The name sounds familiar, but no I dont think I know him.

Last edited:
Back