Thinking of going on my own, Advice Please!

You get 70% commission. The maximum commission they take in a year is $15,000. You own the business, and when you want to get out from under the SmartChoice umbrella, you just have to pay them 50% one years commissions and the payments can be made over 18 months. Buyout will never exceed $50,000.

Is there a link to their web site please.

Thank you

That was in 2007. I want to know what you did and how did it work out for you?

Hi Everyone,
I'm a new P&C agent (only 7 months) that is thinking of starting my own agency. I'm currently with a agent that welcomed me in, but over the last 7 months has not been showing me the ropes. I'm giving up 40% of my commissions but don't feel like I'm getting any advantage. I know and have heard that it is very hard to get companies to pick you up, but I refuse to give up easily. My question is where do I start? Do I contact insurance companies 1st or do I file the paper work with the state to establish my business? What is the best way to approach companies? I appreciate any and all advice. Thank you for reading my post.

a FIVE year old thread.

GEE THX

While it is sometimes annoying for someone to revive an old thread, in this case it may be interesting if the OP is still around and answers.

I'm sure there are others who would love to hear an update on how it worked out.

While it is sometimes annoying for someone to revive an old thread, in this case it may be interesting if the OP is still around and answers.

I'm sure there are others who would love to hear an update on how it worked out.

Well troll, the OP has made 4 posts in 5 years, I would have to bet my life they arent around anymore, mr know it all.

again, people speaking with no common sense. :skeptical:

Well troll, the OP has made 4 posts in 5 years, I would have to bet my life they arent around anymore, mr know it all.

again, people speaking with no common sense. :skeptical:

I guess you haven't paid attention to Sam's instructions about civility on the forums. But thanks for the kind words. Maybe one day we can all grow up to be as awesome as you.

As for the OP not being around anymore, if you are familiar with the way the forum works, when someone replies to a post an email is sent. If the OP has the same email address, they just might have received an email about the post. And then maybe, just maybe, they would share their experience for the benefit of others.

Saieddie,

Not trying to deter you from you going on your own as this is something I have wanted to do for a year.

It seems between the only few months that you have been there you havn't been trained much, how been aloud to quote, and havn't had enough time to see how an insurance operation is run.

My suggestion would be to either find a better agent to work for or go captive for a bit at a place that you can learn the ropes on someone elses dime. You can even find places as a producer where they pay you a salary, benefits, ect. That way you can learn the business, stash extra money, and take off when you truly have all your ducks in a row.

Saieddie,

Not trying to deter you from you going on your own as this is something I have wanted to do for a year.

It seems between the only few months that you have been there you havn't been trained much, how been aloud to quote, and havn't had enough time to see how an insurance operation is run.

My suggestion would be to either find a better agent to work for or go captive for a bit at a place that you can learn the ropes on someone elses dime. You can even find places as a producer where they pay you a salary, benefits, ect. That way you can learn the business, stash extra money, and take off when you truly have all your ducks in a row.

The OP was not Saieddie but was P&CNewbie. This is a 5+ year old thread and the OP has not posted on the forum since 8/2007. I would assume that they are long gone. Whatever they did or didn't do is history. Any advice now is like closing the barn door after the horse is out.

The OP was not Saieddie but was P&CNewbie. This is a 5+ year old thread and the OP has not posted on the forum since 8/2007. I would assume that they are long gone. Whatever they did or didn't do is history. Any advice now is like closing the barn door after the horse is out.

Lol whoops.. :twitchy:

Back