This may help your client and make a sale

To prevent you from going from hero to goat, what do you do/say when/if the medication is no longer offered for free/at a severely reduced price?

It's great to save them $350/month now. What happens, though, 2 years down the road when they are still on the medication, and it is no longer offered free/at reduced cost?

At that point in time, the medication is not $350, it's $500.
Virtually every medication is available through patient assistant programs. As I said, you can search for them on a variety of sites. The one I use is www.needymeds.com.

After my mother had a stroke, we were able to get all her medications for free by using this program. While she is (fortunately) off virtually of the meds, until she no longer needed them, they were available.

About 2 years ago, a 23 yr. old woman asked me for health insurance. She did not have much of an income and was taking serveral medications for asthma. I wrote her a policy without Rx and she was able to get all her medication from the patient assistant program. The insurance premium was about $75 per month so I didn't exactly get rich on the policy. However, my client not only was protected from medical expenses, but she reduced her medication cost to zero.

Perhaps Dr. Sagall would post more information on how these programs work. They have been invaluable to many of my clients. And without my help, most of them would have gone without the medications, or would go broke (or even more broker) by paying for them.

Rick

I was asking, because when I suggested it to someone, their adult son asked me the question, and my answer was similar to yours. Just wanted a second opinion. BTW, her adult son is an attorney.

What if the sky falls? What if medicare ends? What if she wins the lottery? We can only provide answers and assistance based upon today's circumstances. Nothing in life is guaranteed. When circumstances change then we see what fits the situation. That question sounds like a lawyer doesn't it! :err:

Just as another thing to think about...
I called PPArx a while back and they explained to me that they could even help people already on Part D when they reach the coverage gap. They explained to me that part of their application asks if they currently have prescription drug coverage. They told me that for someone who reaches the gap, the answer to this is NO, they effectively do not have coverage and can answer NO truthfully. I've helped a few people by sending them to PPArx for this very reason.

I used this already this morning and got a referal and already done a life app off of it. So..... THANKS.

Back