Thoughts on Agency Clusters/Aggregators?

I have a smaller book of business in NJ that I am looking to double by years end. I just lost my agent that I have been putting my personal auto business through. I am considering signing up with an Agency Network/Cluster/Aggregator. So far I have spoken to the NJ Branch of SIAA. What is the overall opinion of these companies? Are they beneficial? Thanks in Advance!

I would also suggest to look into Appalachian Underwriters, or AccessGen.

I have to disagree with Indienoise: App UW is not the fix to this situation. Not by a long shot. take a long hard look at that option before going that route. No Direct binding authority. No carrier contracts. Huge commission cuts. No ownership.

I have to disagree with Indienoise: App UW is not the fix to this situation. Not by a long shot. take a long hard look at that option before going that route. No Direct binding authority. No carrier contracts. Huge commission cuts. No ownership.

I wouldn't still recommend them for PL carrier access, as things have changed quite a bit since then. Old thread. I'm still not pro-cluster, but am not anti-cluster either. I've talked to a lot of them but have not joined. All have their pros and cons.
My advice to anyone looking, consider long term, not just short term. Make sure you still will be seeing benefit in 5, 10, 20 years staying in the group vs being on your own. Don't make a long term commitment only to fix short term problems.

Don't make a long term commitment only to fix short term problems.

That is the key. So many times I read comments that basically tell me people are looking at it all wrong.

They are looking at short term fixes but with a long term time frame. Or they are looking at a long term fix but with a short term time frame.

Some groups are better suited to a short term solution, meaning only a few years. While some groups are set up for and want long term commitments, meaning 5 years and some out to 15 years.

Some are good some are bad. They can give you higher commissions and bonuses. You need to research them. If you are a good agent you can get a good deal. New agents need to prove they are worth it. I see groups that offer 90-100% and bonuses with book ownership.

You may find a broker company that will be a good fit for your needs. I am a member of SIAA and love it so far but through my master agency I can’t write standard auto and home outside of NC TN and VA. So for my SC auto and home I use a broker who has access to Travelers and Safeco. This has helped a lot. Lower commission but if you could get access to one of them it may temporarily solve your problem. PM me if you want more details.

Back