Thoughts on Prudential?

Georges

Expert
Any general thoughts on prudential? They extended and offer, and I just wanted to see the general pros as cons of what everyone thinks. I'm graduating college with a bachelor degree in may. I would start then. I like how they have a mix between the financial aspects and insurance aspects of course.

Thanks,

Georges

I've been with Pru for about a year and a half. I've actually been in production for about 15 months. The training has been excellent. Your first year has plenty of nice bonuses and credits, but I underestimated how tough the second year is without those bonuses and support credits.

I really have no complaints except that management is almost 100% focused on head count and growth. Once you've proven that you can take care of yourself, they kind of leave you so they can work on new recruits and retention.

My suggestion would be to get all the training you can, hit all your production requirements for the bonuses, and partner up with a veteran agent as soon as you can.

I'm fortunate to have found an agent who has been with Pru for 26 years. We do a ton of joint work together. I help with his book and he helps with my clients. Pru has a ton of orphaned clients since retention is fairly low. It helps to have a vet agent who knows all the old policies inside and out.

All in all, Pru has been great for me, but I've seen a lot of guys come and go in the short time I've been there. The biggest mistake I see is people relying on those orphans too much. Your management will give them to you, but you need to learn to prospect on your own as well.

Good luck!

Thank you. I appreciate all of your insight. Very helpful. Those orphaned clients who decides I they get assigned to you or not?

Thank you.

I sell a LOT of Pru on the indy side and they have good product and service. Everyone I've met who works on the carrier side seems to enjoy what they do. I think you're definitely off to a good start.

Product wise, Pru is hard to beat. Plus, we have an extensive out brokerage selection so we're not restricted to only Pru products even though we're captive. That's pretty awesome.

I do not like our UL Plus product though. I've yet to have an illustration fill me with 100% certainty on it. Our UL protector is awesome though.

Product wise, Pru is hard to beat. Plus, we have an extensive out brokerage selection so we're not restricted to only Pru products even though we're captive. That's pretty awesome.

It's good to hear that Prudential has come to its senses in this regard! I was fired from Prudential in 1997 for selling non-Prudential annuities.

Also, it's good to know that Prudential still helps new agents get started by assigning orphaned clients to them. When I started in 1988, I got a box of 100 or so orphaned clients, $250 a week in salary (called "service and collections commissions") and sales manager who took me around to meet these clients, sell additional policies and gather referrals from them. It's an excellent company and system for those who want to make a career of insurance sales and service.
-Allen

What about joint work? Does the manager take a cut when they do joint work with you? If so, what percentage? Do they give you scripts? Is the training systematic? How are the products compare to mutual companies like Mass m or Guardian? What is their commission like? Thanks.

Its a decent place to start. I would really look at what the previous person says about recruiting and your 2nd year. They like to throw it against the wall to see what sticks. Be careful when using their brokerage. Some managers don't like to see money going to anyone but the home team.

Back