Thoughts on Subsidies for High Income Individuals

There are many legal ways to reduce your income, people have been doing it for decades. With ACA, it brings it to a whole new bonus round level (picture bells, lights and whistles).

1. Many clients have after tax assets to live off of.
2. Some clients can delay social security if they understood APTC
3. Delay retirement taxable distributions
4. Start a business
5. Fire your high frequency trader for an advisor
6. Make HSA contributions.

Nothing "dirty" above, all legal, and smart $ planning. Probably the reason they have money in the first place (hint hint).

YUP!

Kinda does make me angry tho. If someone (has) enough money to do those things they also can pay their own way and not depend on me to do it.

It reminds me of divesting to get around the cost of LTC. I get it, but it doesn't feel right. "I'm gonna give all my stuff to my kids so everyone else can pay for my LTC, I mean...I don't want to pay for it, what would I leave my family?"

In this case, the law is wrong and it should be asset tested (my opinion). If you have enough money to drive great cars, make additions to your home, buy an extra home, etc.... you can pay for your health insurance, thank you.

YUP!

Kinda does make me angry tho. If someone (has) enough money to do those things they also can pay their own way and not depend on me to do it.

It reminds me of divesting to get around the cost of LTC. I get it, but it doesn't feel right. "I'm gonna give all my stuff to my kids so everyone else can pay for my LTC, I mean...I don't want to pay for it, what would I leave my family?"

In this case, the law is wrong and it should be asset tested (my opinion). If you have enough money to drive great cars, make additions to your home, buy an extra home, etc.... you can pay for your health insurance, thank you.

Agreed - but this law doesn't take assets/net worth into account - just taxable income - which is easy to manipulate . . .not fair, but that's the way its written.

Don't forget the Clinton's were bankrupt when they left the White House.

At least that was their story ...............

I also know of a person of wealth who gets a subsidy. It's the law and she is following it. If income goes too low, she becomes in eligible and will have to buy.

And Rick Scott - along with other Florida politicians take a subsidy and call it a "perk."

Don't they make millions?

----------

Look, business owners or how they work their papers, have these "perks." You may not find it FAIR, but that is what is owning a business is all about in AMERICA.

You decide to work for someone, then that is your choice. Your "freedom" of choice.

I've seen people start a business, do everything right, and they are back out working for someone in 1 year. THIS IS A FACT!

My family has a saying: "Think Smart, Don't Work Hard." Maybe others here need to adhere to this before you start bashing it. That is only what I am saying.

BUT HOLD UP!

You state you hate on how they don't except ASSETS. THIS IS PRO-BONO for agents (for what commissions we are getting).

I will let you think on that - THOSE who FIND this UNFAIR. And those agents who do, then this business is NOT for you.

Latest posts

Back