Tipping Point is It Time to Quit?

I agree with the earlier response. In P&C sales, you either add value, or you have to sell something else to make it worth in the long run. If you just compete on price for personal lines, you will eventually lose the business to google. You really don't want to build your agency with people who are willing to lie to the insurance company anyway. In the long run, they cost you more. These type of people don't refer good prospects either so think about your marketing/prospecting plan.

Sell commercial. More money, less demanding service, more loyalty.

Dave

All in all Dave is right!

Sell Commercial - I agree.

Less demanding service - I only agree 70%. It's not always the case, but the demands tend to be front loaded during the transition to change carriers or agents/brokers. They can be super demanding when trying to first win the deal. They have a reporting system (if your buyer is not the final or only decision maker on the matter), so that can take longer to close the deal.

I agree - More loyalty. Not a 100% bulletproof statement since the buyers are also people who have personal lines and think that his commercial agent is the same category of service provider as his personal agent, but more often than not in my experience, if you win the deal right, then they stay with you longer given the "at risk" values can be larger and the claims can have longer tails.

Hayato
closingcommercial dot com

Today I realized how much I dislike 90% of my clients. Each day we get calls to complain about their rate. I finally said to my caller - do you know any insurance company that decreases your rate at renewal? Have the prices for anything in your life decreased? How did you like the new $25,000 roof Safeco put on last year for "hail" damage - after all your roof was 25 years old! Who got the better deal you or Safeco?

How do you handle the non stop complaints? I actually had a woman call today and say she needed to lower her homeowners by $70/month. Her premium is $72/month! No one is going to give free homeowners!

We try to sell on value, personal service etc. Just received a glowing note about a claim - how great we were in helping her and how easy it was to deal with Travelers --- guess what? She switched to Farmers the next day - lying about her son - saying he doesn't live in the house anymore.

After 10 years, I am ready to quit! How does your agency handle the constant shopping? There are 3 of us and its really impeding our growth because we spend too much time rewriting.
let 'em go-move on with what comes in the door this month. Lapse/can is a way of life on p/c side. Don't take it personally! If you're truly miserable do something else.

Today I realized how much I dislike 90% of my clients. Each day we get calls to complain about their rate. I finally said to my caller - do you know any insurance company that decreases your rate at renewal? Have the prices for anything in your life decreased? How did you like the new $25,000 roof Safeco put on last year for "hail" damage - after all your roof was 25 years old! Who got the better deal you or Safeco? How do you handle the non stop complaints? I actually had a woman call today and say she needed to lower her homeowners by $70/month. Her premium is $72/month! No one is going to give free homeowners! We try to sell on value, personal service etc. Just received a glowing note about a claim - how great we were in helping her and how easy it was to deal with Travelers --- guess what? She switched to Farmers the next day - lying about her son - saying he doesn't live in the house anymore. After 10 years, I am ready to quit! How does your agency handle the constant shopping? There are 3 of us and its really impeding our growth because we spend too much time rewriting.

2 thoughts...
1. I have my phone system set up where 75% of service calls are routed to the carrier.
2. Even then, I am burned out on the same issues. I just got a second phone strictly for commercial (targeting property). All I am waiting on are my new business cards & and I am off to target commercial policies.

Back