Tired of Cold Calling

I hear ya! I'm going through the same 'learning-curve' here as well. :GEEK:
Cost-wise though, cold calling is an inexpensive way to get started. Right now, I am calling out on two-year old medicare supplement lead lists and not having much luck.

They should have had at least two rate increases by now.

Outsource all the cold calling you don't want to get caught up doing a $10.00 an hour job when you are a closer

I am coming to the same conclusion...outsourcing, even though expensive is a guaranteed way of getting in the door, compared with cold calling, which depends on skill (earned over time) and general luck.

Yea 100%, I didn't believe it, started a blog and all the sudden leads started to come to me, slowly but surely. 75% of people online are searching for information, if they find you, you are golden

Here in Ohio, Cold Calling isn't legal anymore, even for Medigap. We haven't done it in years. If you can budget it, consider direct mail. There's a smaller list of hits, of course, but it is a lot easier.

Outsource all the cold calling you don't want to get caught up doing a $10.00 an hour job when you are a closer

Amen. This is when my business shifted into second gear. Getting someone else to do the heavy lifting and initial sorting.

You will find yourself refreshed, just writing applications and working ON your business instead of working so much IN your business. If you're approaching the one-year mark, you should be starting to realize the initial renewals.

At that point, I would suggest switching to no more than a six month advance. If you can survive by paying a significant portion of that on a consistent basis (ie $400 - $500) per week to a telemarketer that brings you business, this means that you will be just about breaking even (or a little better) based on his/her efforts, and you could continue your own for a while, too.

Six months after starting with your telemarketer, though, it's all residual income from their efforts, free and clear.

This really is the second step, though, in Med Supp sales. As the other fellow said, you don't want to get bogged down in $10-per-hour activity. Your time is too valuable. There is another advantage from having your telemarketer build you up in the mind of the potential client. They then treat you better and appreciate the time you spend with them when you can save them money.

Initially, it appears difficult to do, but if you can find the comfort zone where their efforts are paying for them occupying that seat, then it's a zero sum game weekly while you're building your residuals on the back end at twice the pace you're doing on your own efforts.

I'm interested in cold calling small businesses but I can't figure out who to ask for once I get a receptionist or assistant. I know if I ask directly for the owner or manager I will most likely get shut down.

I have a list of businesses that also support my target audience. I want to work with them to market to that audience. I also want to get some of their group life and qualified plan business.

Also, if I cant get past the gatekeeper, how do I turn it into an appointment with the gatekeeper for their personal business?

Any insight or suggestions. This is the think/thing that keeps me from dialing, or if I manage to start dialing I give up before I make a contact. I have a small list of several hundred companies. So I don't want to burn through my list on bad technique. I also have another list of associations in the area. I need to figure out the best approach for them.

Back