Tired of Prima Dona GA's

So you don't want to run proposals, you don't want to answer questions, what about back-end service work? Training? Something else you don't want to do? Again, why should an agent use you? Commissions? Sometimes an agent can do better going direct and other times not.

I use a GA to save me time so I can sell more and not have to run several different proposals. That's the point. I use a GA to help keep me up to date on new offerings and changes so that I don't have to call several different carriers. That's the point. The more time I can save, the more time I can sell and bring new clients on board which is good for everyone...THATS THE POINT!

So I guess you're the only one that has to deal with chargebacks and production quotas?

Lets not hear more about my situation; I was clear. And if it sounds like whining, too bad, don't read the post.

I use a GA to save me time so I can sell more and not have to run several different proposals. That's the point. I use a GA to help keep me up to date on new offerings and changes so that I don't have to call several different carriers. That's the point. The more time I can save, the more time I can sell and bring new clients on board which is good for everyone...THATS THE POINT!

What line of insurance?

If it's life insurance, have you heard of compulife?

Just how much of your commissions are you willing to give up for that much hand holding?

Back to the chargeback issue, the carriers go back on the upline if the agent doesn't pay them back. Ask Mark Rosenthal how he feels about eating chargebacks. Ask Mark how many pieces of mail he sends out every month chasing chargebacks.

You're not backing anything up and you're just blaming the GA.

Some free advice: Learn to run proposals yourself and you'll never be at the liberty of your GA again! You really think it takes less time to ask your GA to run it for you and then wait to get it back VS just taking a few minutes to do it yourself?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So you don't want to run proposals, you don't want to answer questions, what about back-end service work? Training?

Agent should be running their own proposals, it takes two minutes (you still won't say what line of insurance you're running).

Carriers have more accurate answers then an upline does (not to mention they can be easier to get ahold of).

Back-end service work? If I'm running the proposal, answering all the questions, and doing the back-end work, why should I bother even having an agent in the picture? Why should I do their job?

You have a point on training and absolutely that's something that an upline should offer, but if they're getting really involved in it, they shouldn't be giving away above street contracts on it.

Do you want to get into what lines of insurance you market and give us a better idea of what you think your upline should be doing or are you a "prima dona" agent that just wants to shoot their mouth off about what the world owes them?

Last edited:
sounds like a lazy piece of **** that doesnt want to work. He might be better off sitting on his ass at wal mart saying welcome to wal mart.........

I'm pissed cause I have to do something and I cant get everyone else to do stuff for me.

sounds like a lazy piece of **** that doesnt want to work. He might be better off sitting on his ass at wal mart saying welcome to wal mart.........

I'm pissed cause I have to do something and I cant get everyone else to do stuff for me.

Is that the best you can do? What are you the on-line follow up tough guy? Sidekick? The "yeah, me too" guy?
What line of insurance?

If it's life insurance, have you heard of compulife?

Just how much of your commissions are you willing to give up for that much hand holding?

Back to the chargeback issue, the carriers go back on the upline if the agent doesn't pay them back. Ask Mark Rosenthal how he feels about eating chargebacks. Ask Mark how many pieces of mail he sends out every month chasing chargebacks.

You're not backing anything up and you're just blaming the GA.

Some free advice: Learn to run proposals yourself and you'll never be at the liberty of your GA again! You really think it takes less time to ask your GA to run it for you and then wait to get it back VS just taking a few minutes to do it yourself?

Agent should be running their own proposals, it takes two minutes (you still won't say what line of insurance you're running).

Carriers have more accurate answers then an upline does (not to mention they can be easier to get ahold of).

Back-end service work? If I'm running the proposal, answering all the questions, and doing the back-end work, why should I bother even having an agent in the picture? Why should I do their job?

You have a point on training and absolutely that's something that an upline should offer, but if they're getting really involved in it, they shouldn't be giving away above street contracts on it.

Do you want to get into what lines of insurance you market and give us a better idea of what you think your upline should be doing or are you a "prima dona" agent that just wants to shoot their mouth off about what the world owes them?

Maybe you should stop running your mouth off and get out in the world and sell something as opposed to being a desk jockey and complaining how terrible agents are. Since you don't need agents, show us.

...funny how this turned into a production issue, that somehow I'm not producing. If I wasn't producing, I wouldn't be complaining about stuff not being done. If I didn't produce, I wouldn't be having this conversation.

So again, what is your role? Do you or don't you provide service? Are you just pissed off because you have to do this stuff?

I'm willing to give up some part of my commission if I am more efficient which is something you're not understanding. If I'm more efficient, then everyone wins.

So why use a GA? You never answered the question. Why would you say that I think the world owes me? I think the guy getting a piece of my selling efforts owes me.

Kisses to both of you!

Last edited:
Maybe you should stop running your mouth off and get out in the world and sell something as opposed to being a desk jockey and complaining how terrible agents are.

It's been a long day, but I for some reason recall you starting this thread being a "desk jockey" so that you could start "complaining how terrible" your business partners are. My point was that it can be just as frustrating from the other side.

...funny how this turned into a production issue, that somehow I'm not producing. If I wasn't producing, I wouldn't be complaining about stuff not being done. If I didn't produce, I wouldn't be having this conversation.

Not that I think it speaks to the root issue, but it sounds to me that you're waiting on a proposal. Are you telling me that you're a serious producer that can magically sell without proposals? If so, then why do you need one?

Yes, I'm just messing with you on that point. Take a step back and chill.

So again, what is your role? Do you or don't you provide service? Are you just pissed off because you have to do this stuff?

I'm not pissed off at all, in fact, I had a solid week and I'm further ahead today than I was when the week started, so I'm in a good mood :)

I'm willing to give up some part of my commission if I am more efficient which is something you're not understanding. If I'm more efficient, then everyone wins.

It's impossible for me to accurately answer that question without more context. If you're trying to put together a large group health case and you need the proposal for a 1,500 EE case that's different then if you can't run a quote on a 20 year term policy or a $10,000 FE policy. I would be able to take you much more seriously if you were even brave enough to tell me what line of insurance you need help with. To be really helpful, and I don't imagine you'd want to do this publicly (partially because it would be inappropriate, but depending on the lines and what your comp levels are I may even be able to point you in the direction of someone interested in helping you "be more efficient", especially if you're willing to give up a part of your commission. The *real* issue (and I'm not sure this is the type of agent you are) is when an agent wants an "above street" contract, comprehensive training, lead support, hand holding on every deal, and then wants the upline to close the deal for them. Just about every piece of that is doable depending on how much of the commission is given up. That said, to get "top contracts" an agent should be running their own show.

So why use a GA? You never answered the question. Why would you say that I think the world owes me? I think the guy getting a piece of my selling efforts owes me.

If you have the ability to contract directly and think that's a good deal then go for it. I say that you think the world owes you something because you've been running your mouth about how your GA is worthless, but you won't even say what line of insurance you're selling. Seriously, I think a lot of agents get hustled by their uplines the eight ways of Sunday (whatever that means) and I'd love to help you if your upline is doing that, but if you won't even say what lines of insurance it's tough to be helpful.

I appreciate the changed tone and am sorry to have insulted you or any other GA. Obviously both sides have their issues.

I knew I was getting you riled up and I was partially doing it on purpose. Some uplines are downright thieves, when you're giving an agent a 50% contract and zero training and making them pay outrageous prices for leads, and they're getting "trained" by people that don't have any real sales experience, that's highway robbery (and it happens every day). On the flip side, you'll have agents want their uplines making a 5% override and doing 50% of the heavy lifting on their cases, then the upline should be asking the agent "Why do I want you as an agent?"

Truly I appreciate that you brought this point up because I think it's something folks don't talk about enough. If an upline is helpful then they should be getting paid for that, if they're not and only providing contracts, the contracts should be high.

Back to your issue, if you have the option of getting pointed directly with the carrier(s) in question, and they carrier(s) will help you with that stuff, you should go for it or find an upline that will be the right fit for you.
1. Did I say anything about proposals?

Almost directly, yes. If you read through it again you'll catch it, if not, it's not a big deal.

2. Whats your reason for "not being owed anything" for being on higher contracts?

The short answer is they're already getting something. If an agent is getting an above street contract they should not need training, lead support, or anything other than the contract really. There is no reason for someone to contract an agent under them on a reduced override and provide substantial leads/training/support. That's not to say that some folks want contract agents that way, but they're selling themselves short and opening up their risk for chargebacks (from having to pay the agent's chargebacks) and a variety of other headaches that someone shouldn't do for a small override.

Do you want to justify why you think agents are owed something when they are on high contracts above and beyond the additional commissions?

In some ways I think this forum has hurt life agents more than it's helped them.

Last edited:
I knew I was getting you riled up and I was partially doing it on purpose. Some uplines are downright thieves, when you're giving an agent a 50% contract and zero training and making them pay outrageous prices for leads, and they're getting "trained" by people that don't have any real sales experience, that's highway robbery (and it happens every day). On the flip side, you'll have agents want their uplines making a 5% override and doing 50% of the heavy lifting on their cases, then the upline should be asking the agent "Why do I want you as an agent?"

Truly I appreciate that you brought this point up because I think it's something folks don't talk about enough. If an upline is helpful then they should be getting paid for that, if they're not and only providing contracts, the contracts should be high.

I'm sure he appreciated you "riling" him up.

Almost directly, yes. If you read through it again you'll catch it, if not, it's not a big deal.

"Almost directly"? lol. Sorry you are completely wrong.

Do you want to justify why you think agents are owed something when they are on high contracts above and beyond the additional commissions?

Agent 1

200K premium a year. 5% override = $10,000 yr.
5 yrs. = $50,000.

This agent is consistent and requires little assistance.

Agent 2

25K premium a year. 15% override = $3,750 yr.

This agent calls all the time. Requires a lot of time. May be out of business soon.

Does this case make sense?

PS: I don't care one way or another personally. I don't expect much from an FMO.

Last edited:
Back