Today's Wall Street Journal

By the late 1990s, assisted-living facilities were widely popular. Especially at well-run ones, staff members looked after policyholders so well that they lived years longer than actuaries had projected. Residents "are taking their medications; they are not falling," says Mr. Bodnar, now a senior executive at Genworth.

Residents "are taking their medications; they are not falling,"

Well! The nerve of them! Our parents ought to hurry up and die already! Messing up the actuarial tables like that ... What are they thinking?!

New long-term care insurance: have lots of kids and treat them well enough that they'll return the favor in time.

You're still a youngin' ... that is not the new long-term care, sonny:cute:. That's how it used to be for many families. :yes:

New long-term care insurance: have lots of kids and treat them well enough that they'll return the favor in time.

Have you ever been a caregiver?
Have you ever lost your job because of your caregiving duties?
Have you ever changed the diaper of an 81-year old man who was completely paralyzed on his left side?

After you've experienced those things, come back and re-read your post.

By the late 1990s, assisted-living facilities were widely popular. Especially at well-run ones, staff members looked after policyholders so well that they lived years longer than actuaries had projected. Residents "are taking their medications; they are not falling," says Mr. Bodnar, now a senior executive at Genworth.

Residents "are taking their medications; they are not falling,"

Well! The nerve of them! Our parents ought to hurry up and die already! Messing up the actuarial tables like that ... What are they thinking?!

You're still a youngin' ... that is not the new long-term care, sonny:cute:. That's how it used to be for many families. :yes:

That's not why the actuarial tables were messed up.
There was one miscalculation that was the biggest reason for rate increases:

persistency

Have you ever been a caregiver?
Have you ever lost your job because of your caregiving duties?
Have you ever changed the diaper of an 81-year old man who was completely paralyzed on his left side?

After you've experienced those things, come back and re-read your post.

Yes.

Just got done watching my wife's infirm grandmother pass away at 89 years old with dementia after my wife's grandmother took care of her daily for 24 hours for about 5 years. This while maintaining a full time job working as an RN at the nursing home.

My comment wasn't making ill of the plight of caretakers, but more on how long-term care insurance seemingly is not going to be the answer for many who will one day need round-the-clock care.

Yes.

Just got done watching my wife's infirm grandmother pass away at 89 years old with dementia after my wife's grandmother took care of her daily for 24 hours for about 5 years. This while maintaining a full time job working as an RN at the nursing home.

My comment wasn't making ill of the plight of caretakers, but more on how long-term care insurance seemingly is not going to be the answer for many who will one day need round-the-clock care.

watching someone else be a caregiver is not like doing it yourself, my friend.
Long-term care insurance is paying the full cost of my MIL's assisted living facility. It's been the answer in our house and it'll be the answer should my wife or I need long-term care. Don't believe the B.S. the life insurers are telling you about long-term care insurance. Most insurance agents are just puppets on strings. Click this to understand the real reason long-term care insurance sales have been dropping.

The REAL Reason Long-Term Care Insurance Sales are Dropping – LTCShop.com

watching someone else be a caregiver is not like doing it yourself, my friend.
Long-term care insurance is paying the full cost of my MIL's assisted living facility. It's been the answer in our house and it'll be the answer should my wife or I need long-term care. Don't believe the B.S. the life insurers are telling you about long-term care insurance. Most insurance agents are just puppets on strings. Click this to understand the real reason long-term care insurance sales have been dropping.

The REAL Reason Long-Term Care Insurance Sales are Dropping – LTCShop.com

LTC Insurance sales are dropping? Huh? Not what I have seen the past 9 years! Business is BOOMING!!!!!! My phone rings ALL DAY!

iCloud

Last edited:
LTC Insurance sales are dropping? Huh? Not what I have seen the past 9 years! Business is BOOMING!!!!!! My phone rings ALL DAY!

iCloud

on a macro level.
you and I are the exception.
very few LTCi agents have high ranking websites.

Last edited:
That's what my mom did. :yes:

Though I didn't appreciate her making fun of me before I lost weight. She always told me I looked like I was pregnant because most of the weight I had gained was in my gut. Thankfully she doesn't call me that anymore, thanks to bacon. :twitchy:

Hey LD...what book is that you are referring to?

Mike,
I was sure that it was a short story by Louis L'Amour, but I am not being able to find it in his non-western short story compilations. I am out of ideas at the moment on how to discover who wrote the story, its title or what book it was in.

Back