Top Massachusetts P&C Insurers?

JimmyJohns

Hi All,

I'm looking to move into P&C Insurance and get my license. I'm trying to figure out the top 5-7 Massachusetts P&C carriers to make sure I have appointments with the right companies. Would it be best to google and look at market share reports of top insurance companies writing premiums for P&C in this market? Is there a better way? Does anyone know from working in this market who those carriers are?

Thanks in advance, first post so let me know if I didn't provide enough information.

I'm guessing you are new. Do you plan to focus on commercial or personal lines?

Either way, your best bet is going to be to work under someone for a while to figure things out. This questions, and many others you didn't know to ask will be answered.

Or, you can go at it with no experience into one of the most complex and high failure businesses.

Without experience or a proven Book of Business you will not get to go independent right off the jump. If you have 100K you will be able to become a captive agent for some of the larger carriers or you might get an appointment as a scratch agent for other captive (exclusive) carriers.

It's amazing to me how many people want to jump into insurance and try to get appointed with no experience. I can't imagine someone trying to jump into being an auto repair shop owner, pilot, electrician, tax consultant, or anything else with no experience. Why so many people think they can just jump into insurance with no experience bewilders me.

It's amazing to me how many people want to jump into insurance and try to get appointed with no experience. I can't imagine someone trying to jump into being an auto repair shop owner, pilot, electrician, tax consultant, or anything else with no experience. Why so many people think they can just jump into insurance with no experience bewilders me.

Interesting, that has never bewildered me at all. Only confused me & perplexed me.

Media & advertising have always made an insurance man seem lazy or so easy a caveman can do it

Hi All,

I'm looking to move into P&C Insurance and get my license. I'm trying to figure out the top 5-7 Massachusetts P&C carriers to make sure I have appointments with the right companies. Would it be best to google and look at market share reports of top insurance companies writing premiums for P&C in this market? Is there a better way? Does anyone know from working in this market who those carriers are?

@JimmyJohns - the best way to do this is to be a P&C agent for five years before trying this. In terms of Specific Insurers - You can google is all you want- wont help. It vastly depends on what exact field of P&C you will be providing - Commercial / Personal? Sub Specialty and Exact Client Details. If google could tell you the answer to much of this - there would be no need for Insurance Brokers.

As a former territory rep for a large MA insurance carrier, its tough to get any appointments as a scratch agency, or even if you came out of the captive area to go independent. I had to pull teeth to get my manager at the time to allow me to appoint a former Met agent. He was my top performer in 2018. But the carrier was very worried about non-solicit ect...

Best bet is to look at a national network/market access provider to begin writing business. Also the majority of the national networks don't have appointments with the core New England regional carriers that are competitive in the area, and have an understanding of what business owners in the state do. For example - Landscapers that snow plow, and have snowplow endorsements and driveway clearing ect.

Good luck

Back