Tough questions about social security

keith365

Super Genius
I have a prospect who has terminal cancer, and probably less than a year to live. He's turning 65 in January of 2023. His wife is 62 and healthy.
With the help of someone who is more of an expert in social security than I am, we've determined that if he lives longer than 10 months, it will be worth it for him to take social security now, because, even though his wife's widow social security payments will be reduced, his payments now, will make up for it. But she's asking me alot of questions that I don't have answers for, which is why I'm posting.
Is there a percentage of his ss income that she will receive, or does she receive his full payments? For how long? Would they start immediately? Do the payments stop? When?

I have a prospect who has terminal cancer, and probably less than a year to live. He's turning 65 in January of 2023. His wife is 62 and healthy.
With the help of someone who is more of an expert in social security than I am, we've determined that if he lives longer than 10 months, it will be worth it for him to take social security now, because, even though his wife's widow social security payments will be reduced, his payments now, will make up for it. But she's asking me alot of questions that I don't have answers for, which is why I'm posting.
Is there a percentage of his ss income that she will receive, or does she receive his full payments? For how long? Would they start immediately? Do the payments stop? When?
Go to this page: Can I Collect a Deceased Spouse's Social Security and My Own?

Does she work herself? If so, she will be able to draw the larger of his benefit or hers when she retires.

Back