Trail Commission Vs Heap

I've never, ever been asked by a client how much I get. The closest I have gotten is when someone commented "There must be a lot involved here."

I like your idea of deflecting the question with "It depends on how well it does." or something along those lines.

I had always thought before that if the question ever came I would say "Do you ask a car salesman how much his commission is? Do really care as long as you get what you are looking for at the best price available?" I guess that comes across of being a bit of an A-hole.

Yeah you definitely don't want to say that. I turn it in to a positive and say, "well that is the beauty of it, I am compensated on the performance of the account and selecting the right product to fit your needs. I'm compensated by keeping you happy."

The case I'm working on right now, the client didn't come right out and ask me but it dawned on me so to speak he was wondering and he was. After a very brief discussion and I mean a short two statements he was back to being involved in the discussion. I could tell he was lost when discussing expense ratios and lack thereof. He said something to the effect of, "oh, ok" and his body language reflected we were back on point.

Yeah, it seems out of all of the reps, I get the cooky questions and cooky clients. I was told during my mentoring that I would never be asked certain questions by clients but believe me I get them and my mentor asks me where I find these people. He seems to think I attract them lol.

I think it be only a matter of time and heap commissions will be a thing of the past on most products for several reasons and this is also an idea floating around (rumor on the street) with some of the bigger producers. My mentor is already writing trails on some stuff to brace himself for it and he's cool with it for the most part. Like he says, he sure isn't gonna fight anything he can't win. Gotta pick and choose your battles and work the best with what you have.

Wouldn't be surprised if a company like JG Wentworth comes along for agents and reps. "If your an insurance agent taking trails and need cash now, call.............". :D

Yeah you definitely don't want to say that. I turn it in to a positive and say, "well that is the beauty of it, I am compensated on the performance of the account and selecting the right product to fit your needs. I'm compensated by keeping you happy."

The case I'm working on right now, the client didn't come right out and ask me but it dawned on me so to speak he was wondering and he was. After a very brief discussion and I mean a short two statements he was back to being involved in the discussion. I could tell he was lost when discussing expense ratios and lack thereof. He said something to the effect of, "oh, ok" and his body language reflected we were back on point.

Yeah, it seems out of all of the reps, I get the cooky questions and cooky clients. I was told during my mentoring that I would never be asked certain questions by clients but believe me I get them and my mentor asks me where I find these people. He seems to think I attract them lol.

I think it be only a matter of time and heap commissions will be a thing of the past on most products for several reasons and this is also an idea floating around (rumor on the street) with some of the bigger producers. My mentor is already writing trails on some stuff to brace himself for it and he's cool with it for the most part. Like he says, he sure isn't gonna fight anything he can't win. Gotta pick and choose your battles and work the best with what you have.

Wouldn't be surprised if a company like JG Wentworth comes along for agents and reps. "If your an insurance agent taking trails and need cash now, call.............". :D

That exists on the P&C side already.

Back