UHC Going After Restaurant Workers

I worked in two restaurants for about six years when I was younger. I think maybe 10% would actually qualify for underwritten coverage and 2% could afford it.

Here is another possible reason for a move like this, found it from
Restaurant association touts health care insurance package - Las Vegas Sun

In Nevada, the minimum wage is $7.55 an hour, but employers can pay $7.25 an hour if they offer health insurance. That’s because the federal minimum wage stands at $7.25, and states are required to pay the higher amount. So that’s only a savings of 30 cents per hour, per employee when insurance is offered.
But that’s all changing in a couple of months.
Beginning July 1, the state’s minimum wage will increase 70 cents to $8.25 an hour. Employers that provide insurance could pay $7.25 an hour — a realized savings of $1.

$1 an hour savings is a big deal, might be wanting to get jump in mandatory coverage and fines that come without giving coverage. Not sure what other states will do this.

Frankly, I think UHC is chasing vapor. I don't see restaurant owners jumping on the bandwagon to save a buck when many of them may well be exempt from penalties.

This is a low pay, high turnover industry and few employers can afford to offer health insurance as part of a benefit package. Exceptions are companies like McDonalds and Starbucks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have written coverage on waitstaff before and it doesn't stick. Even if the employer is setting it up on PRD, when they leave the employer the coverage is dropped.

Last edited:
Better start following Starbucks. They've jacked the employee's share of the premiums and are making sure more and more employees don't get the 20/hrs per week needed to qualify.

The plan paid something like $1500.

The bill was $22k and change.

Did I have a plan she could buy to pick up the difference?

No

That's what is wrong with out health care system, you should be able to buy insurance after the fact.

.......Most of the restaurant owners I know are hanging on by a thread. They are one days receipts away from bankrupcy.

I just figured my rates on the link and came out at $296 for a $2500 100% HSA vs $250 for my own $1700 100% HSA.

I'll bet if I figured my rates directly with Golden Rule it'd be the same. I'm not in my office or I'd look.

So they just created some press for a new lead site, basically.

Back