Underwriting Question

susieQ

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
TX
I've got an underwriting question, hoping someone has had experience with fibromyalgia.

Have a 49 year old female, currently doesn't take any medications. She was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over 3 years ago. The doctor didn't really do any treatment for the fibromyalgia other than Celebrex which she only took briefly. She took Celebrex last over two years ago just for a short amount of time but not for the fibromyalgia, it was because her back was aching. She is a little heavy, but that's the only thing. It was at a time of her life where she was under a lot of emotional stress and she really thinks that the doctor didn't know what the cause of her discomfort was so he just said possible fibromyalgia.

I understand from a certain "arrogant" poster that y'all are a great source of information. Would you know which company might be the best to get her underwritten? Humana's underwriting guide says decline, not listed in BC/BS, not listed in GR, Aetna says they would accept without any meds for 2 years, Fortis doesn't have it listed, Unicare says 20% rate up if not chronic? Any suggestions on who might be best?

A certain "arrogant" poster ;)on this board indicated that y'all are great at questions like this. (He actually took the time to call me!! How out of character is that?):laugh:

For those of you that were sittin' back with popcorn and soda the fight is between rounds. :D:laugh:

I can't respond for Texas, but in general, I would suggest prescreens with anyone that you are thinking of submitting with. It sounds like you have a few things going on here, which will make it harder to make a determination on your own.

Weight - not sure what is meant by a little heavy.
Fibromyalgia - which doesn't sound like a confirmed diagnosis, but will show.
Back issues / Celebrex - Arthritis? Or is it only fibromyalgia?

prescreen is your friend.

I would suggest u run away from steve davidson and become a real insurance agent, not counting on advances, build a block of business.. also, u are not even appointed with aetna... why look at them? and i would sugest u leave sti alone....i think his back is well covered here

also chick... your post is out to lunch...... (She took Celebrex last over two years ago just for a short amount of time but not for the fibromyalgia).. WHY?? ( it was because her back was aching).. u know thats what fibromi. is .. right? ......(She is a little heavy) to an insurance agent that means lap band fat... and that will help make joints hurt, so we are back to the fibromi. (she was under a lot of emotional stress and she really thinks that the doctor didn't know what the cause of her discomfort was so he just said possible fibromyalgia. )... guess what, she aint a doctor and it now sits in her records, so she has got the condition... move on cause she sounds like a freek.... oh, u cant, u get advances... u need that advance check from davidson... your post is dumb

How does she know the diagnosis is correct? There are no specific tests for fibromyalgia. It is usually diagnosed after everything else is ruled out. Fibro is symptomatic and initially "looks" like other illness including arthritis.

You can do a prescreen as suggested, but if she wants to get the fibro off her record (which will be tough) she needs to go through a battery of testing.

Thanks guys, yep I agree lots of uncertainty with her. They are a really good couple so I was trying to see if there was any way to get her covered. I recommended she go to a doc since it had been a while and go from there because from what I knew of fibromyalgia even though some of the underwriting guidelines say they would take her at standard I thought it was pretty unlikely. Been told a lot of times, yea we'll take a look at it only to have people declined.

Just reading between the lines I'm guessing a lot of you don't care for Davidson too much. :D

I would suggest u run away from steve davidson and become a real insurance agent, not counting on advances, build a block of business.. also, u are not even appointed with aetna... why look at them? and i would sugest u leave sti alone....i think his back is well covered here

Peeler,

After a conversation with Sti I don't think he needs you to cover his back.

I have an underwriting question as well. Have a prospect who is 42 yrs. old., smoker, 5'8", 220 lbs. Was in drug rehab 4 yrs ago. However, now clean and sober only 4 months. Takes no meds and no medical problems. Will anyone touch him?

I have an underwriting question as well. Have a prospect who is 42 yrs. old., smoker, 5'8", 220 lbs. Was in drug rehab 4 yrs ago. However, now clean and sober only 4 months. Takes no meds and no medical problems. Will anyone touch him?
His wife? ;)

Back