Uninsured/underinsured

fdahl82

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Can someone explain to me exactly how this works and what it covers, and under what circumstances? Life if you had street parking, and were parked, not in the vehicle... and someone hit and ran your car... would that be covered under this or would it be under collision?

Can someone explain to me exactly how this works and what it covers, and under what circumstances? Life if you had street parking, and were parked, not in the vehicle... and someone hit and ran your car... would that be covered under this or would it be under collision?

It depends on the state you are in. In most states, UM/UIM only covers bodily injury, not property damage, although a few states have uninsured motorist property damage which would cover damages to your car.

If I remember correctly, Pennsylvania does not offer UMPD coverage.

Your collision coverage would apply to the vehicle parked question.

Got ya! Thanks Jim!! :)

It depends on the state you are in. In most states, UM/UIM only covers bodily injury, not property damage, although a few states have uninsured motorist property damage which would cover damages to your car.

If I remember correctly, Pennsylvania does not offer UMPD coverage.

Your collision coverage would apply to the vehicle parked question.

it happened to a friend, that was insured by State Farm. She called them and they told her that's not covered under her under/uninsured motorist, that she would have had to have collision to cover it. But when she asked them, then what DOES it cover, they wouldn't tell her. I just thought it was shady, and I have heard from a few different people that State Farm is one of the hardest companies to make and get a claim with.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
as soon as she got that answer... she changed ins. companies. she wasn't happy, and she said they were really rude. so she just changed companies.

Last edited:
Like Jim said, it does depend on your location... BUT, in many cases it is illegal to not have insurance and this could get you into a lot of trouble - esp. if you get into an accident. Being UNDERinsured is obviously better than having no coverage at all...

If you sense that you don't have adequate coverage, then take the time to get some - but make sure that it is affordable too. Speaking of State Farm, though, I keep seeing their commercials where they say to "ask" someone about their services; seems like your friend really dislikes them - so I didn't even need to ask ;)

Best of luck!

it happened to a friend, that was insured by State Farm. She called them and they told her that's not covered under her under/uninsured motorist, that she would have had to have collision to cover it. But when she asked them, then what DOES it cover, they wouldn't tell her. I just thought it was shady, and I have heard from a few different people that State Farm is one of the hardest companies to make and get a claim with.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
as soon as she got that answer... she changed ins. companies. she wasn't happy, and she said they were really rude. so she just changed companies.

Back