United Health Question

JustinUpright

Guru
100+ Post Club
Tennessee
I have a guy that is insured through his wife's group insurance. They are getting a divorce and he will need to get his own insurance. The problem is he has a pre-existing condition. Ulcerative Colitis.

My question is to UHC agents. Or anyone that has a viable answer.

Can he go from her UHC group to a UHC individual policy with out proof of insurability?

Or can he move to another company and still get coverage?

Thanks in advance.

I am in Tennessee. Don't think cobra will help in the long run. Although it is under control and he only takes meds when it flares up. Other than this one thing he is healthy don't smoke, drink, works out regular.

But cobra runs out eventually. He owns his own company and not enough interest in group to get it set up there. May be cheaper to do group and the company pay and that way he will be insured.

UHC will not take him unless it has been surgically corrected, and even then they will rider it out.

Assurant will only take them if it is controlled and no meds, which does not seem to be correct.

HumanaOne may be possible depending on the situation. They will cover it even to standard, depending on the number of flare ups in the last 2 years, but if there are more than one in that time most likely decline or rider.

Aetna would take but must not have had flare up or used any medication in the last year for a 25% rate up. If they have had one and/or are taking only one script 50% rate up. Any more than that is decline.

Not sure about other carriers in the market.

Back