United Independent Wholesale Insurance Network (UandIWin)

Wow! From Guest to Super Genius in 1 post! I certainly don't deserve such a title in any way, shape, or form, but thanks Mel! 'preciate it! Gives me something to aspire to, lofty goal that it is!

Road Runner slowed to a crawl after my last post. Heard on the news there was a "construction accident" that took out most of central NC. Oh well, we're back up now. I've had more trouble since I decided to join this forum. Wonder what that could be? :twisted:

I thank everyone for responding to my post. I learn so much on this board (and the old one)! I have read most of the Health Forum on the old board, which was a daunting task. I am trying to catch up on this one, and then move to Life, LTC, etc. So much information! So much knowledge! Thanks to all of the seasoned and knowledgeable folks who contributed.

I have told many folks how amazing it is to have "offline" access to so much experience via the Internet. It would seem you could replicate somewhat of a mentoring relationship with folks all over the US that would have been virtually impossible just 15 or 20 years ago (except by phone or mass mailing, I suppose). Thanks, thanks, thanks!

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all!

well lets start with leads......because that is the first step of a working insurance agent.....what does UandIWin do for their agents on this....

Well, I don't rightly know. I haven't really been too deep into their website, and really haven't looked for what they do with leads. I think someone posted here that they have a lead program, but I have no idea how it works, or if they charge for it.

I have actually had more contact with the home office via phone, and via personal contact with regional marketing director Hans Beck. I found out Sunday they were doing a presentation meeting on Tuesday in Cary, about 12 miles from here, so I attended both meetings and also had lunch with Hans to get lots of questions answered.

I haven't checked into the leads program because of a couple of reasons:

It seems that the corporate tack is to recruit seasoned agents preferably, although there is also an emphasis in the literature and the presentation on the "average agent". It seems corporate's focus is to bring in as many producing agents as they can as quickly as possible. So they are telemarketing from corporate directly to agents and inviting them to either a live presentation if there is one in their area, or inviting them to dial into a webinar/conference call presentation.

The personal reason I haven't checked into the lead program is because, as I said in the previous post, I have studied the Health forum on the old board. I have learned from posts by you guys that alot of lead programs are not all they are cracked up to be. I have read all of the different viewpoints re: NAA/NASE etc. bad/old leads vs high priced leads w/ questionable rate of return potential. And I have learned very well from John that to generate your own exclusive, qualified leads can be successful. So that has been a building block for my thought processes and business concept: self reliance. And I am developing ideas of how to implement those concepts in this particular business, regardless of what corporate does; they say I am independent and can do what I want with my business, I can choose to do the right thing, and that is a good thing, even still here in a (mostly) free capitalist American Republic.

I certainly appreciate any direct input or feedback anyone may have, I am here to learn. And the motivation is to feed and clothe my family by succeeding in the insurance business, but ONLY by operating with the highest ethical standards with the CLIENT's family's best interest first and foremost, as taught here by the guru's on this board who do it every day.

producer said:
Sounds like another long winded... "work for me, and make me money... spam from another "Team Builder" who cannot sell for themselves. As they say "Those who cannot do for themselves, teach!" I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it. Their website sells information to agents in their downline, and has many, many people getting their hands into the agents commissions.

I agree, after I submitted the post, it took up quite a bit of screen real estate, and was quite long winded. It DOES "sound" like alot of hype; I guess I was excited, and subconciously spamming the board with hopeful expectation. That was wrong and I apologize, I know that is not the purpose of this board.

I have learned much from those on this board and the old board who teach what they have learned and done from experience. I am neither interested in learning from someone who hasn't succeeded, nor teaching from that point of view. It won't work that way anyway. If no one sells insurance, no one makes any money, no matter what the commission or agency structure is.

I cannot ethically tell someone do something that I am not doing. I'm sure some will "cross the line" in a presentation and say at some point you can stop producing when you have built a large enough business and just live off the residuals, but it's that way in a "regular" agency, isn't it? I don't know, because I am new and am just learning about MGA, MA, etc.
At this point all of that doesnt' matter to me until I have a large amount of proven production experience with which to leverage those types of arrangements.

In the UandIWin business model, if they payout according to production the way the say they will (and they assume a minimum personal production in the plan), then I'm not really worried about how it is set up, it is the same for everyone at each level, if they produce and duplicate. If they payout according to the bottom line, then I'm fine with it, if not, then they are dishonest and that alone would be grounds for separation.

producer said:
I dont really intend to come off sounding harsh, but I dont think the world needs more inexperienced insurance agents building teams, and mass misrepresenting products to the general public, because everyone else in the downline is inexperienced (NASE).

I don't mind "harsh" if it is the hard truth, that's how you learn, and I thank you and I agree with you. I have read all of the NASE-type threads and they prove that inexperience cannot teach experience.

One of the major faults with those companies as represented in forum threads is as you say, misrepresentation of products, and further, sometimes pushing "inferior" products when there are clearly better alternatives in the better interest of the client. UandIWin has a better product mix: Assurant, Golden Rule, AIG, F&G, and others. From what I gather from my forum study, these are pretty good companies, and not the type of MP and CI type products that are misrepresented as more than they are in the companies like NASE et. al.

I understand from John that even Assurant has plans that may not be in the best interest of the client. So, that is why, in my mind, I am satisfied that I can both personally represent a good company/product to the client, and I can teach someone else to do the same.

By the way, where is John???? Is he on Christmas vacation (seems like I read somewhere that he always wins a contest and "has" to go on some vacation to some nice, perhaps exotic, place). OR.....perhaps he has signed up with UandIWin (he has an "in" apparently) and is taking off like a rocket. You know he would if he did!

John, if you've joined, PLEASE take over this thread, as you are infinitely more qualified than I to continue it. Thanks!

producer said:
There are no shortcuts to wealth building, but investig time, and focusing on what you do, day in, day out... If any agent thinks that they can join this group, recruit, build an agency, and laugh all the way to the bank... they will have a debit balance sky high, and will be sorely mistaken... Just my 2 cents worth... Ive been around too long to know otherwise. Ignore me if you disagree...

I would never ignore you even if I disagreed, it would be to my detriment. I agree with you, and let me add my two cents also.

I agree, there are no shortcuts to anything worthwhile, and in my opinion, if any agent builds an organization without leading by example by personally producing (which he should already be doing anyway), he will have an organization that is producing nothing, and will cry all the way past the bank to the poorhouse (or worse).

Shep said:
Well, I don't rightly know. I haven't really been too deep into their website, and really haven't looked for what they do with leads.

Well thats good......how do you expect to move product with out a good lead source....you will lose agents to others with a good lead source....

arnguy said:
Although I respect John Petrowski's expertise, I tend to agree with "producer" on UandIwin.com. I did review the DVD they presented and read John's imprimatur of it on the old board, I am highly skeptical of any organization that shows many levels of downlines (viz., AMWAY ballons) and the ability to make huge sums of money. Of course, that is IMHO. :?

Hello arnguy!

Do not some agencies or IMO's have levels of "downlines" with the ability to make huge amounts of money via overrides in addition to their own (perhaps negligible or nonexistent) production? And isn't UandIWin just a large national IMO with a "tweaked" agency structure?

I admit I don't know, I am just suspecting; that is why I am asking. And right about now would be a GREAT time for the gurus to step in with a lesson about IMO's, MGA's, GA's, etc. and how all of that works, from the insurance company all that way down to li'l ol' me. !! It would be MUCH appreciated, you can be sure!!!

Shep said:
producer said:
I dont really intend to come off sounding harsh, but I dont think the world needs more inexperienced insurance agents building teams, and mass misrepresenting products to the general public, because everyone else in the downline is inexperienced (NASE).

I don't mind "harsh" if it is the hard truth, that's how you learn, and I thank you and I agree with you. I have read all of the NASE-type threads and they prove that inexperience cannot teach experience.

One of the major faults with those companies as represented in forum threads is as you say, misrepresentation of products, and further, sometimes pushing "inferior" products when there are clearly better alternatives in the better interest of the client. UandIWin has a better product mix: Assurant, Golden Rule, AIG, F&G, and others. From what I gather from my forum study, these are pretty good companies, and not the type of MP and CI type products that are misrepresented as more than they are in the companies like NASE et. al.

I understand from John that even Assurant has plans that may not be in the best interest of the client. So, that is why, in my mind, I am satisfied that I can both personally represent a good company/product to the client, and I can teach someone else to do the same.

By the way, where is John???? Is he on Christmas vacation (seems like I read somewhere that he always wins a contest and "has" to go on some vacation to some nice, perhaps exotic, place). OR.....perhaps he has signed up with UandIWin (he has an "in" apparently) and is taking off like a rocket. You know he would if he did!

John, if you've joined, PLEASE take over this thread, as you are infinitely more qualified than I to continue it. Thanks!

I did not nor would I ever join this oufit. They cannot offer me anything more than I'm already getting. All I said on the other board was it's not a scam or a MLM and it probably a good place for an agent to go who wants to feel like part of a team.

Before everyone here goes too deep into bash mode just realize that an incredibally small fraction of independents have what it takes to work alone. Most people need some type of structure and this UandIWin outfit could provide that.

I do not endorse them since I'm not with them. I feel training in general in this industry sucks horribly. I think it should be some sort of law that you cannot sell the products of any company until you first take a comprehensive test about the products, limitations and underwriting. I have never seen any industry so incredibally lacking in training.

When I went to work selling BMWs I wasn't allowed to step foot on the sale floor until after a one week training course. To sell home improvement was a two week course. But you can come from operating the sour cream gun at Taco Bell, get an insurnace licence and start selling without a single hour of product training.

Melmunch3 said:
Scratch that, after reading through the brochures, I have to agree that there are too many levels here. If you pay an agent what amounts to 83%, and you offer the upline a possibility to make 40%, and you add in the corporate profits, then there is no money left for real marketing, leads, assistance etc... I am willing to bet that of the organizational employees, more of them focus on training to get new agents then on training the new agents.

These are things I intend to find out, I will report back in time, whether postive or negative. I have to say though, that I have had more insurance product related support this week from them, both from the Regional Marketing Director and the Agent Serivces guy at the home office, than I have had from 5 IMO's combined, thru which I am recently appointed w/ various co's. "So far" that is a positive for me.

You are probably right, there is probably a great focus on sponsoring rather than training, from the home office, although they say differently. I hope they can prove it, because I need NO help in the sponsoring part, I need the ongoing training in the everchanging IMMENSE product knowledge that is the Insurance Business, all in order to do right by the client, so they will do right by me (maybe).

So far, I have gotten on my own, what little knowledge I may have, so even if they are not strong on this, no problem. Again: self reliance. If I have the knowledge and experience, then I can teach those who don't, whithout having to rely on an IMO.

I see the IMO as doing the stuff I don't want to do. I don't want to have to keep up with who's in who's group, and who gets which bonus, and mail the "downline" checks on time, and all of that stuff. I want the IMO to do that so I am free to produce and train. So far it seems that will be okay with them. We'll see. I will be very disappointed if it is not so. But I won't be out of business, I'm still independent and contracted with way more companies than they carry, including the ones they carry. If it doesn't work out, I just won't write thru them anymore, I'll write thru one of the other IMO's (until I learn how all that works, and earn the right to do what's better for me).

Melmunch3 said:
Hi Shep,
Why don't you flesh it out a little bit more. I went to the website and right away I was turned off because I don't want to have to give out my personal information before I know more about the org. There is a lot of stuff going on on that website, I don't want to go through it all unless it is worthwhile.

I do not have any pre-existing position on the organization, but you haven't really told us anything about what it does.

Make a pitch for a newbie, inexperienced, but smart and motivated. What does the company bring to the table?

Well, I'll sum up here, and give a few more thoughts I have, then if all goes well I'll hit the ground running Jan 1 and try to do their six-month deal. I'll report back. And of course, I'll continue to read and learn here, and if the insurance support is not all it's cracked up to be, I know where to come - here. You guys are the greatest!

- One thing I like is that you can maintain your appointments with companies they don't carry. I was told that in some cases you can actually have two writing numbers for the same company that they DO carry, so you can maintain a contract outside of UandIWin. I see that as a safety net. And I don't know the contracting particulars regarding "switching" or "moving" contracts to UandIWin.

For example, John Hancock comes highly recommended for LTC, so I would provide that to a client because it is best for them, even though UandIWin does not carry JH, and the volume from that sale would not apply to the UandIwin compensation plan.

- Speaking of the compensation plan, I don't bother with the website or brochure, at this point they are convolutedly confusingly complicated. I have a little experience at presenting a plan in a simple, understandable way, and I am developing a simple, understandable way to present this in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Sorry. :D

Anyway, that will make the concepts of the compensation plan, organizational structure, and "recruiting" easy to grasp, so that aspect of the business can be put on "auto-pilot", become easily duplicatible, and allow more energy to be focused on insurance product knowledge, ethical sales practices, lead generation - the things John points out are sorely lacking in this industry.

Let me interject here a couple of things that may help someone lurking on this site and learning, as I have done, and will continue to do. I have had the luxury for the past few months to prepare for the insurance business, and to obtain material for ongoing study and preparation. I am a slow (but thorough) learner, so I actually took FOUR courses each, for each of the three licenses (L/H, LTC, P/C). 1. streamed video class via computer (with "pause" etc. of course) 2. CAI - Computer aided instruction, ie the presentation and learning was a self-paced computer program. 3 and 4. Two diffrent texts in Adobe format. So it was all on computer (3 desktop, 2 laptop).

Also, there were several authors who were recommended on the old forum, so I went on Ebay and purchased about 2 shelves of insurance books (Feldman, Savage, MANY others), even a few from the early part of last century, for some fun reading and at very good prices.

But of course, the MOST helpful thing was the old forum (and now this one). I started in the Health forum at the beginning and read all the way thru, cutting and pasting into my own searchable "training" document. What a daunting task! I also downloaded the WHOLE forum, in case it gets taken offline or otherwise messed up by a hacker. :wink:

A motivating factor is that my grandfather was with Pilot Life way back before they became JP. My uncle started w/ The Franklin and then was with American General most of the time. My grandfather has passed away, and my uncle is a retired "semi-famous" former coach (Towson U) as well as being an agent. He made some recommendations to me that I followed thru on.

As I had posted before, my background is as a professional entertainer as an electric bassist (and later keys and computer = most everything), and in that industry you have to show up early, stay late, do all the setup and breakdown work (when you are not famous) and you cannot call in sick. I have performed with 104 degree fever, walking pneumonia, etc. and NEVER missed a date in 24+ years. You have to deal with all sorts of people in all sorts of conditions. I am hoping to transfer some of that work ethic and people experience to this business.

My grandfather and uncle always said to be open to opportunity. That being said, if any Guru has advice for me that is not appropriate for this forum, feel free to Private Message me.

If any Guru would like to use me as an "experiment" in any mutually beneficial way (I'm brand new), I'm all ears, send me a PM.

In closing, let me make these remarks:
This concept may flop, the company may go bankrupt, there may be high expectations that are not realistically met, any number of business risks that are not in my control could go south. However, I CAN control what I do. I am in large part, a product of this forum. I will endeavor to actualize the concepts and principles I am learning here, and implement the "street smart" techniques that have been shared. And if I can set a good example by producing well with integrity, and can teach others to do the same, then if all the promises are kept by the company, this should work as well as any traditional agency distribution organization. If not, then I will STILL produce with integrity, and perhaps one day, maybe, perhaps I will be worthy of the title "Super Genius", and perchance even move amongst the echelons of "Guru".

We will "see" you around!

Shep

Back