United Teachers Assc. Info?

Another small co I have been using for sev years is New Era Life out of Texas. (Houston)

They also have reasonable rates, a wide variety of plans, low rates for life/final expense and stable rate increases on med sups.

When you're fighting a price war out there, you want to be competitive too even though you know that rate has to go up with time.

OTOH...you can't guarantee that yours won't spike either...Just one big lotto!

(so I use the mutual fund disclaimer: past history is no guarantee of future performance.)

That is so true. What one can do though is look at the past performance of companies both in the states the agent sells in and in states the company has been in for some time and see what the increase history has been.

At best though, this will be an educated guess regarding future rate increases.

In the states where Continental Life is no longer competitive they are moving their "new company" American Continental into those states in an attempt to remain very competitive. As far as I know it is working well, so far.

UTA in IN is not so competitive and I am not sure why. They have pretty strict underwriting. They came out with H,I, J almost 2 years ago. The price's weren't too bad but they just got an increase here of 8%. So they are definetly a little higher than most right now. I have seen contracts for 25% with them. Maybe thats why they can't control the premiums.

I am considering UTA for final expense. Rates seem very competitive. Anyone have any dealings with them for FE? How tough is the underwriting, and how are they to deal with?

Why are you guys so interested in UTA. Their are alot more competitive products out there.

I personally like the UTA application, which looks like it takes all of 60 seconds to fill out. Oxford's app is lengthy plus they have a longer interview. I am an MGA for them, and will use them but not for every client.

UTA rate on the example 70 yr old Female, non smoker @15K face amount is $79.14.

Who do you have that is lower?

But Oxford is $66.99. This is 15% less than UTA. If you have a clean risk, why would you not use the lower priced product? Assuming the client qualfies, would it not be dishonest to charge them more for what amounts to the same policy?

The fact that UTA has an easier application should not be the reason.

Rick

It is all on your perspective... UTA has an A rating with AM Best and Oxford is a B+. Wouldn’t it be a disservice to place a client with a lesser-rated company? I am just using semantics with you. UTA is a company that pays their claims, and that is important also.

Whats wrong with a B rating. Especially B+. If you wer going to buy it for yourself would you worry about the B rating or the price?

Personally...yes, I would worry about a B rating. Why would you use one when there are so many A rated companies? Does your E & O insurance even cover you if you write a B company?

The only B+ company I write at all is Homesteaders and that is only because the funeral home owner I sell for loves them and I am personally familiar with the company. I still write very little with them. I prefer A companies.

Latest posts

Back