Value of Domain Name - Opinion?

LowRiskGuy

I've owned a domain name for quite some time but have no current use for it (never used it), and I'd love to find it a good home and see it be put to good use. I've moved the price up and down, but virtually no response. I just can't figure out if the problem is the price or that it's just not being found by the right people in the right place? I mean, there was a time when there were just a few top websites for buying/selling resale domain names, but it's no longer clear to me that any are better marketplaces than eBay, where I have it now.

While there are various methodologies for valuation, one key factor to me is how attractive the name is on the results page of a user search? Of course, to get on that page it needs relevant content, SEO practices, etc, but a simple and clearly understandable domain name that is both specifically responsive to a user's query, yet broad enough to capture most users' interest, is arguably a very solid name. MyQuoteNow.com

So, I'm wondering is $1700 way too high, or should I be listing it elsewhere? GoDaddy, Sedo, Afternic? Flippa? IDK.

While respecting differences of opinion on valuation, I'll be ignoring troll naysayers. Opine a low value, if you really believe that, but trash talk negativity not welcome (there are usually a couple in the crowd).

Thank you.

Godaddy appraises it for $1671 - However - You may have to hold it for a while to get that. How long are you willing to hold it for the $$. Moving the registry to namesilo or name cheap would keep you under $10 a year registration. I own over 300 domains, and I would,t pay more than $100 for it. But then I would either build a site out or resell it

I'll be ignoring troll naysayers. Opine a low value, if you really believe that, but trash talk negativity not welcome (there are usually a couple in the crowd).

Thank you.
Well, let me be the 1st. I'll offer

tenor.gif

I’ll give you 100 bucks for the name but I don’t see how you were getting $1000 for just the name

Is it getting traffic, generating business, or just the name?
I've had MyQuoteNow.com since 2000, I don't think it's ever been used/had prior owner. And while some valuation models factor traffic, as I said, there are various valuation models. I think it's a positive that there is no possible negative baggage or failure associated. As a developer, I'd prefer a blank slate with open potential over one with history but less upside.

It's just a name (no history), but a good one.

Godaddy appraises it for $1671 - However - You may have to hold it for a while to get that. How long are you willing to hold it for the $$. Moving the registry to namesilo or name cheap would keep you under $10 a year registration. I own over 300 domains, and I would,t pay more than $100 for it. But then I would either build a site out or resell it
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised how close I am to Godaddy without knowing about that. I've held it for a long time already, and would sell it now for a little less, but not desperate, and won't go too low - rather wait if I have to.

A couple decades ago I held over 300 names, sold a bunch, let most expire, still have a handful for sale, using a few. Started on eNom reseller pricing cheap, but now I think I'm renewing at about $13yr. after losing my status levels. Maybe I'll look at namesilo or namecheap if I have time - appreciate the info! but not enough difference to sweat.

If someone puts MyQuoteNow.com to good use, I'd be happy to have one less renewal to worry about.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This isn't scientific but myquotenow (as one word) generates 43,000 results.

quotenow gins it up to 146,000,000 results

Domain names have value based on what you can/will do with it.

quote returns 3,270,000 results with almost none of the top results having anything to do with insurance.

But look what someone did with quote dot com.

This isn't scientific but myquotenow (as one word) generates 43,000 results.

quotenow gins it up to 146,000,000 results

Domain names have value based on what you can/will do with it.

quote returns 3,270,000 results with almost none of the top results having anything to do with insurance.

But look what someone did with quote dot com.
I agree with the value being tied to "what you can/will do with it", but there are still good names and crappy names.

And I understand your point about the relative value of those names (but not directly proportionate in dollars to those search result numbers), but none of that answers the question of whether it's worth $1700 (that I currently feel is a fair price).

Let me ask this, since I'm not in the insurance business: If you are an agent/broker with a website that is the either well branded or awkward sounding and hard to remember how to spell, and you are looking for another feeder website, one great for lead generation, and you're NOT going to go out and buy quote.com, then is MyQuoteNow.com worth $1700? I'm not here to argue value but to get opinions, and it would seem so to me.

Last edited:
Back