value vs. price

People love to buy but they hate to be sold.

The method that works for you is the one you should use. Some folks beat up the prospect & drag them across the finish line while others simply drip on the prospect until they are ready to buy.

I am a dripper.

It suits my personality.

Agreed Somarco. You can be as slick and clever as you want at the appointment, but you can't be slick 3 months later after that 3rd draft hits their account and they say "I knew we should never never done this. Call and cancel today honey."

It takes from 1 to 3 weeks for me to sign up my average client.

Jeffery Gitomer's book, "The Little Red Book of Selling" talks about this. Selling the value, not price. Price does not build loyalty. The next sales person wanna be can come in, under bid (show a lower premium) and then you lost the client.

When it comes down to price with the client, here is my Yugo close:

Me: What color is your Yugo?
Client: I do not have a Yugo.
Me: Why not?
Client: I don't know...I like my Buick...etc
Me: My point is that Yugo came to America with the lowest price car you can buy. Now they are gone because they had reliability issues. Mercedes Benz sells cars that can cost as much as a house, and they have been around for a long time, still here today. They cost more but you get more.

Your insurance policy is your vehicle to the hospital/doctor. Do you want to hope it gets you to the hospital and takes care of your claim, or do you want to know that your policy will take care of you? And we are not talking about the price difference of a Yugo to a Benz, we are only talking $X per month.

I suit it to my situation, but the point is the same. This has got me quite a few sales over cheaper MAPD plan.

I also use my hands to illustrate the 2 cars. One hand is the "I hope it will" and I shake it like it is struggling to get somewhere, and the other is smooth, like it has no problems.

If you do it right it does not have to be cheesy!

If you want to sell on value lose all cheesy reference to price: "Affordable" "cheap" etc...

When I'm selling I'm comparing products, not rates. They can see the rates since they're on my website following along with me. A price-based pitch is "Ok, plan A is $230, Plan B is 320 and plan C is $385." But they're staring right at the rates already.

Selling on value is "Ok, plan A doesn't include benefits for this and that, plan B doesn't cover these items but plan C covers everything."

It stuns me that people sell crap based on price when people in general buy on value, not price. People want the best, not the worst of something. My phrase of choice is "this is the most comprensive."

If they point out the cheapie rate I'll say "Oh, none of my clients choose that. That's the least comprenensive plan."

My opening phrase is "I'm sure you're looking for the best coverage possible that fits into your budget."

I sometimes give them three choices:bronze,silver and gold the bronze may be the c plan the silver may be the c plan with $5000 in final expense the gold may be the c plan with 5k final and a convelacent care plan. It amazes me that most will choose the middle(silver) plan.

Chumps,

I never, ever ask them if they want to buy either. That is the surest way of losing the sale in my opinion.

At the end of my presentation, it includes most of the objections prospects come up with, I simply say "I just need to see your Medicare Card to get it started".

I am constantly amazed when they say, "my purse/wallet is in the bedroom, I will be right back". I haven't asked them anything "threatening" like do you want to buy it, sign here or I need a check.

If they hand me their Medicare card I just start filling out the app. Very seldom will they let me fill out the app and then say they don't want it.

My "dog and pony" show is pretty good, even if I do say so myself. :D

Back