Virtual Proctoring for WebCe pre-licensing test/Covid-19/Pennsylvania.

B Jackson

I want to take the WebCe online pre-licensing course for Life & Health.

After reading the fine print though - I now realize in order to complete the pre-licensing certification I need to take a proctored closed book test at the end of it. Under normal circumstances this would not be a problem at all - but circumstances are anything but normal right now with covid-19.

My State & county are still in bad shape & as someone with a pre-existing health condition I'm still sheltering in place. I am not leaving the house nor am I allowing anyone to visit out of safety concerns at this time.

According to current Pennsylvania state guidelines :

"Until further notice, the use of proctors in a face-to-face setting is prohibited. Instead, virtual proctors will be permitted or if a virtual proctor is not feasible, the proctor requirement will be eliminated for all approved online courses."

"Proctor: A disinterested third party (i.e., there can be no family relationship, cannot be a direct supervisor, cannot be a person directly supervised by the student).

I might be able to meet the requirements of a "virtual proctor" by having a "disinterested" acquaintance monitor me via Skype using my smartphone pointed at my old beat up computer while taking the test - but this whole thing just seems ridiculously impractical & entirely unnecessary.

Why would I take an expensive pre-licensing course to then cheat on a pre-licensing test that is designed to prepare me to pass an expensive fully monitored state licensing exam?

I spoke to representatives from WebCe & other online pre-licensing companies & none of them have been able to shed any light on how I should compliantly arrange "virtual proctoring" or even get the proctoring requirement eliminated (in accordance to the state guidelines shown in bold above).

I've also called & emailed the Pennsylvania insurance department as well as other regulatory agencies regarding this issue & get no response.

How strongly enforced/tightly monitored are these pre-licensing test rules? Is this policy really even enforceable?

I just want to take lots of detailed notes for future reference - learn the material that I'm paying for & then independently take the pre-licensing test without cheating to prepare myself for the official state licensing exam - which I think is just basic common sense to begin with.

I could sure use some advice on how I should move forward with this situation.

Thank you

I could sure use some advice on how I should move forward with this situation.

Thank you

You are in a tough spot... your state is shut down very tight at the moment. Sorry your timing just stinks and no fault of your own.

One suggestion is to contact 2 or 3 companies that offer CE credits (Continuing Education) in your area, they will most likely have a very good "lay of the land" and know what might be some options for you. I suggest checking with more than one because it's important to verify these things.

Hope this might help.

Back