Weak Captive Sales Managers

I worked captive for many years. Most so called regional managers had no clue or experience for that postion. I know one VP of sales with UAFC who had 2 agency failures, several other business failures, and the only career that lasted at all was a DJ.

VolAgent said:
JMO, lower level management for any sales field is going to be weak as a rule. A good salesperson can often make more than an entry level manager. The skilled salesperson definitely has less stress. So while the skill set is not quite the same, there is little incentive for a good salesperson to step up into management.

So the people who are interested in the job are average to weak salespeople or someone new to the field.

Often good producers try their hands at management. They decide the headaches are not worth the compensation so they go back to production.

Last edited:
FWIW---I've worked for several Insurance and non-insurance companies over many years. In my experience, I can honestly say that I had, at most, two Sales Managers that were worth anything. Most of them carry the "Company Line", which is fine, but they don't have much value to add. They're just imperfect humans, just like us, who are trying to earn a living and keep their jobs.

That's why it is in a person's best interests to become Independent, after your learning curve, do your business your way and stop trying to help your Manager look good to his/her Mgr.

The few times I trained or managed for the one captive operation I experienced I hated it. I made my upline give me income/production to compensate for the loss of income from sharing with the trainee, dealing with the n00bs, and overall BS of being caught between em. Did much better on my own than I ever did with agents under me.

The few times I trained or managed for the one captive operation I experienced I hated it. I made my upline give me income/production to compensate for the loss of income from sharing with the trainee, dealing with the n00bs, and overall BS of being caught between em. Did much better on my own than I ever did with agents under me.

I have heard that story over and over.

My personal experience when I first started with Humana was different. I figure some of that was because the Sales Manager and Director were veterans who had been in the Medicare health market for at least 7-10 years. (And that was the case in 2005.) They had worked for a regional company that Humana had recently acquired. The manager had been successful in the field and was also honest and quite knowledgeable. This was a big help and provided me with a solid foundation and base of knowledge for the Medicare market. He is now a Director in another state. I don't know the Director for this area very well (he's still the Director) but at the least he appears to me to be better than most.

On the other hand, I've seen and heard of managers for Humana and (especially in my experience) other companies who are anything but competent and hard working. Too often it's someone who has few morals or scruples and/or else is a useful ***.

Last edited:

X2! I started my career as a captive. After a few years was "promoted" to sales manager. Worked my arse off for 2 1/2 years as a sales manager. Even qualified for a couple of conventions as a sales manager. Got tired of caring more than the agents under me (it's hard to get people out of their comfort zone as it relates to income). Went back to producing. The DM was shocked when I told him I wanted to "step down". Worked half as hard and made a lot more money. Finished 25th in a company of about 8,000 agents my last full year with the company. Finally realized I could probably make more as an independent. I was right.

X2! I started my career as a captive. After a few years was "promoted" to sales manager. Worked my arse off for 2 1/2 years as a sales manager. Even qualified for a couple of conventions as a sales manager. Got tired of caring more than the agents under me (it's hard to get people out of their comfort zone as it relates to income). Went back to producing. The DM was shocked when I told him I wanted to "step down". Worked half as hard and made a lot more money. Finished 25th in a company of about 8,000 agents my last full year with the company. Finally realized I could probably make more as an independent. I was right.

I think that is a fault a lot of managers have. Not everyone wants to get rich. A lot of people just want enough to be comfortable and comfortable is relative. When you find someone who is making enough to be happy, leave them alone and go spend you time trying to get the next person to that level.

I'm not saying it to blame you, just pointing out there really is nothing to gain by pushing that person. Let them be happy, they are easy to manage then.

I think that is a fault a lot of managers have. Not everyone wants to get rich. A lot of people just want enough to be comfortable and comfortable is relative. When you find someone who is making enough to be happy, leave them alone and go spend you time trying to get the next person to that level.

I'm not saying it to blame you, just pointing out there really is nothing to gain by pushing that person. Let them be happy, they are easy to manage then.

They aren't easy to manage when they are constantly falling below minimum standards and have to go on counseling, then do just enough to get above minimum standards to avoid getting fired. So you end up with half of your agents barely getting by, unable to fire them, all the while your income is tied to what they do.

In my situation we were unable to bring in new agents because we had a set number of agents to work accounts. In theory your method works when there are no limitations on bringing on new agents. Unfortunately that wasn't how it worked.

Back