Weak Captive Sales Managers

They aren't easy to manage when they are constantly falling below minimum standards and have to go on counseling, then do just enough to get above minimum standards to avoid getting fired. So you end up with half of your agents barely getting by, unable to fire them, all the while your income is tied to what they do.

In my situation we were unable to bring in new agents because we had a set number of agents to work accounts. In theory your method works when there are no limitations on bringing on new agents. Unfortunately that wasn't how it worked.

Yeah, if their level of comfort isn't at least enough to stay contracted, you definitely have a problem. Also, if you have a limit on how many agents you can have, again it is a problem.

Of course, ultimately those are self-inflicted wounds from senior management. Just one more reason the job of front line sales manager is a thankless one. As I said before, it really isn't a good gig, it only makes sense if your goal is to move up into higher levels of management. If that isn't your goal or you are going no where fast, it is definitely time to go back to personal production or move to another company.

I don't like to say never, but I'll never be captive again. It was good for learning and benefits, but being a W2 employee sucks unless you own the company.

Back