Web Sites and Domain Names

Because most of the designers out there nowadays are just slapping up templates and personally I feel overcharging. The true art of website design seems to have gone away.

That is true in many cases. You have to know if you're buying a unique custom design or one based on a template. For years, we only offered higher end (aka - expensive) custom insurance websites, but many agencies or new agents didn't want to pay that amount. We missed out on a lot business. So about a year and half ago, we came out with what we call "Ready Made" insurance websites. These are a lower cost alternative to custom websites and much nicer than typical template-based websites.

Custom web design is still out there, but most prefer a lower cost website.

Michael

Michael -

Thanks for your feedback.

My site is loading just fine, and my homemade site has been very effective in communicating a simple concept for a complex product. I get more client comments on that site than I do my main site.

My Blue template site generates half a dozen new sales per year on a passive basis. Without any promotion, people manage to find it via SE queries which is fine with me. Blue is not a major player for me.

You are making a pitch for your services, so I would expect you to attempt to justify your pricing.

A web site will not make your business successful if you don't know how to sell & service clients.

Good luck in your attempts to convert others but I am not one of them.

John-

Thanks for the tutuorial on setting up the website. I would have done it long ago if I knew that resource was available. However, there is no way I would have taken the time to figure out how to switch over the domain name if you hadn't showed me the way. Thank you.

Because most of the designers out there nowadays are just slapping up templates and personally I feel overcharging. The true art of website design seems to have gone away.

Far be it from me to push my sister but check out her portfolio of designs and compare it against some of the template junk out there - then again she charges for it - she does not use any templates - everything's from scratch.

Tin Roof Designs - a web page design company - web site design, website design, web site designer, website designer, web design, Lititz, Manheim, Ephrata, York, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania PA web designer

If we say you referred us to her, will she charge more of less? :skeptical:

To be honest - it would take her 2 months to get started. Quality takes time. This is what she has on the run way before she gets to anyone (include me - I'm on the run way)

Architectural Resources LLC
Custom Equestrian Footing (redesign)
Woodland Concrete
Murray Management Company (redesign)
Ensinger Graphics (redesign)
People Assisting Animal Welfare (redesign)
Yesterday's Mirror (redesign)
Steel Systems (redesigns)
Renewable Resources Group, Ltd.
Polka Dots and Tots
The Osceola Mill House B&B (redesign)
Spec Fab
McLennan Contracting, Inc.
Letter-Matics, Inc. (redesign)
Arrow Mountain Coffee
Pages in Time (redesign)
North Cornwell Commons
Crystle, Allen & Braught, LLC (redesign)
Lickdale Campground (redesign)
Ruby Construction, LLC (redesign)
J.F. Brinker & Sons
The Perfect Plan
LeTort (redesign)
3T Security (redesign)
Laser Lab (redesign)
Keystone Equine, Pet & Wildlife
Elegant Expressions
Choice Security Services (redesign)
Pinnacle Building & Design

And you can also just set up a Google website which looks far better than the Godaddy free templates. .....and use your Godaddy account to change the CNAME records.

Would you happen to know if we can do all of this with Google instead of getting a GoDaddy account first? Looks like we can buy the domain name for $10 annually with Google. I bought a name from GoDaddy a few years ago and had a tough time shaking them loose from me after I had cancelled after the required one year.

Yes - you can get the domain with Google. Google hosts the site for free so it really doesn't matter where you get the domain. I recommended Godaddy because they don't charge extra for DNS management like a lot of other outfits.

Michael -

Thanks for your feedback.

My site is loading just fine, and my homemade site has been very effective in communicating a simple concept for a complex product. I get more client comments on that site than I do my main site.

My Blue template site generates half a dozen new sales per year on a passive basis. Without any promotion, people manage to find it via SE queries which is fine with me. Blue is not a major player for me.

You are making a pitch for your services, so I would expect you to attempt to justify your pricing.

A web site will not make your business successful if you don't know how to sell & service clients.

Good luck in your attempts to convert others but I am not one of them.

somarco -

I appreciated your feedback as well. I'm trying to give my opinions on these topics without sounding too much like a sales pitch. My primary reason for visiting and posting is to hear opinions from my market - insurance agents.

If you ask about the my products and pricing, I will explain them so that you understand what's being sold. Expensive is subjective. We've increased our prices twice in the past 12 months and we're still on the lower half for agent websites when you consider other companies that specialize in insurance websites.

And I completely agree with your statement "A web site will not make your business successful if you don't know how to sell & service clients."

New agents that are not sales focused or try to be 100% internet sales focused do not last long.

Thanks again,

Michael

Back