Web Sites and Domain Names

I have noticed many folks on these boards prefer the DIY approach to website design or marketing. Can I get your opinions as to why?

I work for an insurance website design company, so my opinion is somewhat subjective, but I don't understand why someone would choose to hire a non-professional to design and provide on-going service for a business website - especially for one in financial services.

You don't have to spend thousands of $'s for professional website. It seems penny wise, pound foolish in the long-run.

Thanks for your .02's!

Michael

COST! It seems every fuzzy faced kid out there think with six months technical school behind them that they are worth $100 or more per hour. But when they don't find those $100 jobs they will work for $5 or $10 at something else.

My $.02 -

I work the senior market only. In the past 2.5 years, I have had approx 4 emails from clients, all the others call.

BUT - To give myself a web presence, I made a free google site with my own domain name. Simple, clean, and free (the domain was $9.95)

If there is a need, I may go with a more professional site down the road, but I have not had the need. I have found in my own experience people like the phone better then Email when it comes to insurance.

I would not mind paying someone $1000+ and another $30 - $50/month hosting if they could guarantee enough leads to offset the expense.

Nobody wants to do that.

There is a cost of doing business no matter what your model is. The minimal cost I have invested in domains, hosting, etc is relatively minor but enough to know that I will pick up a dozen or so clients each year passively for almost $0 outlay.

For every $1000 I spend in SEO and/or web design I need to know I can generate enough new clients to bring in at least $8000 in commissions.

I know how my current business model works and what kind of ROI I can expect. I would be willing to spend up to $3000 for $24,000 in ADDITIONAL commissions.

Problem is, I can't find any takers for that offer.

I also have quite a few domains. I tried to set up a site through GoDaddy and didn't get anywhere. I think the problem was my lack of knowledge concerning web design etc...

I would love to be able to find a place that will set up a site for you for about $300.
I can do that for you. I am very familiar with GoDaddy and have made a lot of site with it. Problem is that the sites I did are long gone. But if you'd like I'd be able to make you a respectable one with forms that will direct leads to your email. I am currently a new agent and could use the money. How many pages were you looking at having?

I would not mind paying someone $1000+ and another $30 - $50/month hosting if they could guarantee enough leads to offset the expense.

Nobody wants to do that.

There is a cost of doing business no matter what your model is. The minimal cost I have invested in domains, hosting, etc is relatively minor but enough to know that I will pick up a dozen or so clients each year passively for almost $0 outlay.

For every $1000 I spend in SEO and/or web design I need to know I can generate enough new clients to bring in at least $8000 in commissions.

I know how my current business model works and what kind of ROI I can expect. I would be willing to spend up to $3000 for $24,000 in ADDITIONAL commissions.

Problem is, I can't find any takers for that offer.
What sort of website are you looking for?

I posted to another person that I could do this for them. Email me off line at cgar oh four oh five at gmail.com (This is the phonetic spelling so that spammers won't pick up on it.

I do a lot of direct mail advertising and want to start incorporating a web site along with that. I figure some people will go to a web site that won't mail in a reply card.

I was playing around on GoDaddy.com trying out different domains (most are taken or "premium" priced. But I bought a couple that interested me.

The one that shows the most promise is This Web site coming soon which I just bought for $9.95 a year. I could envision my mailing saying "about half the people are paying more than they need to for XYZ insurance. The other half are not. Which half are you in? Find out on This Web site coming soon

What do you think?

Now my big question...where can I go to get a good web site (or two) built? I don't mind paying the premium price if I know it's a good site that gets me leads if I drive the traffic to it.

Another domain I bought is just my name. Thought that would be good to own.

The third one is forethoughtfuneral.com . I bought that because Forethought Life Insurance is "The" name brand of insurance for funeral preplanning. They are now branching out in the final expense market so there will be consumers looking for them away from the funeral homes. My question on this one is: Is it legal to use the name of a company within your domain name? Even if I sell other brands of final expense insurance along with Forethought?

I don't really think that the name of the web page makes that much of a difference, it is all about how you market it. It sounds like you are already planning to use off-line marketing with the mailings which is a great start. You should really look into online marketing as well, such as membership sites, back links to help with SEO (search engine optimization), article marketing and Press Releases. If you want to spend the money you can look into PPC as well.

I use 1and1.com and feel they give me great stats on hits to my website and their free templates were a no-brainer to use (fortunately in my case). A website and domain name can be had for less that $10 a month. Personally, I think a catchy domain name is less significant than the name of my marketing agency since I'm independent and represent multiple companies. Benefit Marketing Group
I also have quite a few domains. I tried to set up a site through GoDaddy and didn't get anywhere. I think the problem was my lack of knowledge concerning web design etc...

I would love to be able to find a place that will set up a site for you for about $300.

Back