"Well, I want to think it over..."

Meaning what?

Car salesman that I know have failed miserably at insurance because they have to count and spell and all that difficult stuff.

Ironically our best young saleman worked at car dealers but in service! Go figure.

nice guys in the cars business would sell 5-8 cars a month and the high pressure salesman who i would not buy a soda from would consistently sell 20-30 cars a month

As many cars as I have bought over the years, I have NEVER had a salesperson intervene on my behalf when taking the car in for service.

Perhaps that is the difference in selling insurance and cars.

now now lets not get ugly there are good and bad in every profession but i will put my counting and spelling up against anybody and when i sold cars there was several times i intervened for the customer in the service department that is the reason a lot of my sales were from previous customers next question i get will probably be well why did i get out if it was so good to me well working six days a week and taking crap from people that hate u bacause of your profession SUCKS!!! lol peace brothers and sisters

Unfortunately, or fortunately (it depends on how you look at it), selling cars is NOT like selling insurance.

What it comes down to when you hear, "I want to think about it." is how it is presented to you. If they reiterate to you all the benefits they understand they will derive from getting it, but physically do not have the money in the bank to write you a check, but tell you that in two months time they will be able to move forward, that is one thing.

If, on the other hand, they don't give you specifics, and don't offer any information as to their situation, then that is quite another.

I've been in the business for 10 years, and, in the first scenario, I have received a call back, with business forms completed, about 65% of the time. It really was a situation whereby they were either paying off a debt, at the beginning stages of gathering information, felt embarrased about not having all their ducks in a row, and just needed some time to injest the idea. As a matter of fact, I get referrals from these people, long before they call me back.

Does it work 100% of the time. NO.

It all depends on how well you sell yourself, before you even begin to sell the product/service. If someone is not sold on you, it wouldn't matter how good your product is, they are not going to include you in the sale. When you are talking about Med Supps and Medicare Advantage plans, you have to keep in mind this group has been subject to a tremendous amount of sneakiness, underhanded and unethical treatment.

True?

Even if they say they want to think about it, I would still ask, "Is there anyone else you can think of, that would like to have this same conversation?" You might actually get referrals from someone who won't do business with you.

I wish the man who sold us our first car, as a married couple would have kept in touch. We have purchased 4 vehicles in the past 15 years. Would have been nice to have someone we knew to work with us, rather than having to start brand new each time.

The reason why people say that to someone in retail is because most untrained retail salespeople approach too quickly. They feel if they don't meet us the second we walk in and tell us all the great sales they have for us, that we will walk out. And walking out means we may never walk back in.

I shop at Syms, for all my clothes. It is the only place I go. They acknowledge me when I enter, they are respectful of my space, and let me look around. They tell me the truth when the jacket I pick out doesn't hang well on me, and they let me leave (thanking me for stopping by) without pressuring me to buy. They ask me if I can provide them an e-mail, so they can send me updates, as to what specials are coming up.

We need to treat our prospects the same way. As an industry, we don't.

"Great, what is it you want to think over, and I will do some more research, and get you that information." If the response to this is:

"No, that's okay." Then you never had a sale to begin with.

If the response is, "Well, you mentioned that there is a $45 doctor copay. What if my doctor visits me in the hospital? Is that part of the hospital charge, or will I have to pay another $45 on top of that?" Then you have something.

Know, Like, Trust. They have to know you before they like you, and they have to like you before they can trust you. They must trust you before they will hand you any money for services.

I have even left applications with people, and the only thing I have filled in was my agent number. Let them think they can circumvent me by filling out the app without me, and wanting to cut me out. Remember, they think if they go through us, they will be paying more than if they go direct.

Got alot of Blue Cross business this way. They wanted me to educate them, leave the app, fill it out, and keep me out of the loop. Well, by only filling in my agent number (which I do prior to meeting with them), they don't realize it, but I am getting credit for it. (Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha)

NO selling cars isn't like selling insurance one is tangible the other isn't but the psyche' of the human brain IS the same. Like some people have a type A personality and it doesn't matter if you meet them on a carlot or at their home they are going to let you know exactly how the "cow ate the cabbage" others are more melencoly you have to "dig deeper" to figure out their true objections.

I find it interesting that someone related salesman who sold more cars with being high-pressured. I was in the car biz for 6 years and I found the guys who sold 30 cars a month simply worked harder, took more clients and related better to people. The salespeople who only sold 5 cars a month ran to grab coffee anytime a car pulled up, couldn't relate to anyone and were "clock watchers" - shift ended at 5pm? They were in their car with the engine running at 4:59.

all i was saying John is that the guys selling 30 cars a month were a lot more enthused a lot more aggressive and yes sometimes were more high pressured the guys running with their tails stuck between their legs when a car drove up are also the ones who take the first no as meaning no when all it is sometimes is a hidden objection(just my opinion and my opinion and 30 cents won't get u a good cup of coffee around here lol)

All I saw in the car biz were curb-qualifying pikers who ran to the bathroom anytime an up pulled up who they thought wasn't going to buy a car. All the good salesman simply walked outside and treated everyone the same.

I remember one:

Guy pulled up in a one year old SUV. Salesmen next to me said "$10,000 flipped in that trade - he's all yours." Turns out the guy was borrowing his brother's car because his died. And it was a nice commission to.

I will agree with you there we all have our stories to tell that has ever sold anything to anybody. I remember an older couple drove up in a truck that had to be at least 25 years old no less than 3-4 sales people walked right past them I went out greeted them less than an hour later the wife picked our their new truck and pulled about 25k (cash) out of her purse.They never quibbled price paid sticker:biggrin:it's a shame though that in the car biz you have to make your big money on the nice ones the smart ass doctors engineers lawyers that know cost and treat you like a red headed step-child you get a mini and a bad survey half the time I guess every one of us has our own way of dealing with the think it over crowd and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't One agent I know tells his perspective clients straight up to give him a yes or no answer after his presentation, seems to work for him but I am more of the laid back good ol' boy type so I would feel awkward doing that but who knows it moght work for me too

selling med supps there is not a lot to think over per se since all plans are the same such as a c f d etc ...

Most seniors make their decision based solely on price. It usually comes down to, should I save $400.00 per year or continue throwing my money away. One would not think that would be a difficult decision to make.

The one I always get, working mostly in rural areas is, "I want to study on it." When I leave I envision them going to the library and sitting at a table with books stacked up so high around them that they can't be seen.

Maybe they really do.

Back