"Well, I want to think it over..."

Johnrocks, I really appreciate your input; however, your messages are done in the "e-mail in style" of all lower case without punctuation and capital letters at the beginning of sentences.

If you would write your posts in a literary style (paragraphs, etc) they would be a hell of a lot easier to read and comprehend. It may take you a bit longer to type, but the effort would probably be appreaciated by others as well as by me. Thanks.:laugh:

all i know is the nice guys in the cars business would sell 5-8 cars a month and the high pressure salesman who i would not buy a soda from would consistently sell 20-30 cars a month all single sales no fleet

High pressure works. One really can't argue that. But you have to feel comfortable being that way with people and many of them will hate you for it. Still, if you're an ethical person at the end of the day in terms of doing the right thing for the client, ultimately they'll be satisfied with what they buy, in all likelihood.

I don't do it but I know someone who does this extraordinarily well. "well the important thing is to lock in your health the underwriting will take awhile and that will give you time to think about it."

Now does that really work or are the LTC clients very much prepared and already know what they want? I have no idea. The conditional receipt is a good tool to "lock in your health."

Personally I would NEVER sign any app for ANY salesman first time but that doesn't mean I'm not buying and whomever pressured me less has a good shot at my business. But that's me.

The conditional reciept locks in coverage, I don't know what it would have to do with health but I doubt the average consumer would know enough to question such a statement. Yet this does relate to how you qualify your prospect before the first interview. I generally make it known that I do expect a purchase if I prove I can fill their needs in one manner or another, it is called "Common Interest", don't waste my time, and I will not waste your time.

Yet though I think this whole idea of Trust is way over blown. I find people want their interest such as need of insurance being fulfilled with the least amount of pain. Least amount of pain is not interviewing multiple agents or going to multiple car lots, people generally will purchase if you can show them its in their best interest, if they actually allowed you into their home or came to see you in your office that is a sale signal, don't blow it over theories that just don't prove to be true.

it makes life easier if they like me i try to interject a little humor if the vibes are right. I dated a girl once who's dad was a heck of a salesman and his saying was "If they'll wink at you they'll dance. That was just his southern boy way of saying if you can get them to like you,it's going to make your job of closing the deal a little easier. Take what is given to you and use it for all it's worth

Got alot of Blue Cross business this way. They wanted me to educate them, leave the app, fill it out, and keep me out of the loop. Well, by only filling in my agent number (which I do prior to meeting with them), they don't realize it, but I am getting credit for it. (Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha)

I have yet to experience anybody trying to keep me out of the loop, so forgive my ignornace. Would you be kind enough to elaborate on that a bit more please. It sounds like some of your clients insisted that you provide education and leave an app for them to fill out on their own. The trust does not seem to be there if they question the commission.

Client: How much do you make off this sale?
ME: What is your average net profit on sales?
Client: Around 50%
ME: I make 20% off this sale. Wanna switch :)

Unfortunately, or fortunately (it depends on how you look at it), selling cars is NOT like selling insurance.

What it comes down to when you hear, "I want to think about it." is how it is presented to you. If they reiterate to you all the benefits they understand they will derive from getting it, but physically do not have the money in the bank to write you a check, but tell you that in two months time they will be able to move forward, that is one thing.

If, on the other hand, they don't give you specifics, and don't offer any information as to their situation, then that is quite another.

I've been in the business for 10 years, and, in the first scenario, I have received a call back, with business forms completed, about 65% of the time. It really was a situation whereby they were either paying off a debt, at the beginning stages of gathering information, felt embarrased about not having all their ducks in a row, and just needed some time to injest the idea. As a matter of fact, I get referrals from these people, long before they call me back.

Does it work 100% of the time. NO.

It all depends on how well you sell yourself, before you even begin to sell the product/service. If someone is not sold on you, it wouldn't matter how good your product is, they are not going to include you in the sale. When you are talking about Med Supps and Medicare Advantage plans, you have to keep in mind this group has been subject to a tremendous amount of sneakiness, underhanded and unethical treatment.

True?

Even if they say they want to think about it, I would still ask, "Is there anyone else you can think of, that would like to have this same conversation?" You might actually get referrals from someone who won't do business with you.

I wish the man who sold us our first car, as a married couple would have kept in touch. We have purchased 4 vehicles in the past 15 years. Would have been nice to have someone we knew to work with us, rather than having to start brand new each time.

The reason why people say that to someone in retail is because most untrained retail salespeople approach too quickly. They feel if they don't meet us the second we walk in and tell us all the great sales they have for us, that we will walk out. And walking out means we may never walk back in.

I shop at Syms, for all my clothes. It is the only place I go. They acknowledge me when I enter, they are respectful of my space, and let me look around. They tell me the truth when the jacket I pick out doesn't hang well on me, and they let me leave (thanking me for stopping by) without pressuring me to buy. They ask me if I can provide them an e-mail, so they can send me updates, as to what specials are coming up.

We need to treat our prospects the same way. As an industry, we don't.

"Great, what is it you want to think over, and I will do some more research, and get you that information." If the response to this is:

"No, that's okay." Then you never had a sale to begin with.

If the response is, "Well, you mentioned that there is a $45 doctor copay. What if my doctor visits me in the hospital? Is that part of the hospital charge, or will I have to pay another $45 on top of that?" Then you have something.

Know, Like, Trust. They have to know you before they like you, and they have to like you before they can trust you. They must trust you before they will hand you any money for services.

I have even left applications with people, and the only thing I have filled in was my agent number. Let them think they can circumvent me by filling out the app without me, and wanting to cut me out. Remember, they think if they go through us, they will be paying more than if they go direct.

Got alot of Blue Cross business this way. They wanted me to educate them, leave the app, fill it out, and keep me out of the loop. Well, by only filling in my agent number (which I do prior to meeting with them), they don't realize it, but I am getting credit for it. (Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha)

Bob, you have well written this out and I appreciate the feedback. I understand now. Thank you.

Back