What All Insurance Coverages I Should Buy While Renting a Car, in Addition to my Own Insurance?

eagle229

I have my own car and insurance and here is the coverage I got (Massachusetts):

Part 1 (Bodily injury to others): $20k/$40k
Part 2 (Personal Injury Protection): $8k per person
Part 3 (Un-Insured Motorist Protection): $20k/$40k
Part 4 (Property Damage): 100k per accident
Part 5 (Optional Bodily Injury to Others (Liability)): 250k/500k
Part 6 (Medical Insurance Payments Coverage): NONE
Part 7 (Collision): NONE
Part 8 (Limited Collision): NONE
Part 9 (Comprehensive): Actual cash value, $500 deductible
Part 10(Substitute Transportation Coverage): NONE
Part 11(Towing & Labor): NONE
Part 12(Underinsured Motorist Protection): $20k/$40k

I did not take a collision coverage since I drive a really old car.

I will be renting a car from Enterprise this weekend. As I understand, they offer the below waivers/insurance:

Damage Waiver
Personal Accident Insurance
Roadside Assistance
Supplemental Liability Protection

I am planning to take the "Damage Waiver' from Enterprise, since I don't have collision on my own policy.

I have a health insurance, and I am not worried about my belongings in the car. Also, my insurance provides road side assistance.

My questions:

1) Besides the "Damage Waiver" what else should I get from Enterprise so I am completely covered.
2) If I am in an accident where I am at fault, which insurance in particular will cover the other car's damage/repair cost (I know "Damage Waiver" will cover the damages for my rental, but I am worried about the other person's car). Will it be my personal insurance (and which part if so?) or the "Damage Waiver" from Enterprise?

I have my own car and insurance and here is the coverage I got (Massachusetts):

Part 1 (Bodily injury to others): $20k/$40k
Part 2 (Personal Injury Protection): $8k per person
Part 3 (Un-Insured Motorist Protection): $20k/$40k
Part 4 (Property Damage): 100k per accident
Part 5 (Optional Bodily Injury to Others (Liability)): 250k/500k
Part 6 (Medical Insurance Payments Coverage): NONE
Part 7 (Collision): NONE
Part 8 (Limited Collision): NONE
Part 9 (Comprehensive): Actual cash value, $500 deductible
Part 10(Substitute Transportation Coverage): NONE
Part 11(Towing & Labor): NONE
Part 12(Underinsured Motorist Protection): $20k/$40k

I did not take a collision coverage since I drive a really old car.

I will be renting a car from Enterprise this weekend. As I understand, they offer the below waivers/insurance:

Damage Waiver
Personal Accident Insurance
Roadside Assistance
Supplemental Liability Protection

I am planning to take the "Damage Waiver' from Enterprise, since I don't have collision on my own policy.

I have a health insurance, and I am not worried about my belongings in the car. Also, my insurance provides road side assistance.

My questions:

1) Besides the "Damage Waiver" what else should I get from Enterprise so I am completely covered.
2) If I am in an accident where I am at fault, which insurance in particular will cover the other car's damage/repair cost (I know "Damage Waiver" will cover the damages for my rental, but I am worried about the other person's car). Will it be my personal insurance (and which part if so?) or the "Damage Waiver" from Enterprise?

Damage waiver applies to the rented vehicle. Your liability coverage would pay for the other person's car. I would not recommend the other coverages. I would recommend increasing your bodily injury coverage on your insurance policy just because $20000 sure does not pay for much. At least try to get to 50. (I have been pushing at least 100 preferably 250). For example, I had a client pull out in front of a motorcyclist. He was seriously injured. She had 100k for bodily injury. Insurance company just informed her that the injuries would be over the limit, meaning she is responsible for the rest. Imagine what would happen if she only had 20k in coverage (25 is minimum here in Indiana).

I always recommend purchasing the damage waiver even if you have collision coverage because of all of the misc. fees that rental car companies charge (diminution of value, loss of use, etc.)

Damage waiver applies to the rented vehicle. Your liability coverage would pay for the other person's car. I would not recommend the other coverages. I would recommend increasing your bodily injury coverage on your insurance policy just because $20000 sure does not pay for much. At least try to get to 50. (I have been pushing at least 100 preferably 250). For example, I had a client pull out in front of a motorcyclist. He was seriously injured. She had 100k for bodily injury. Insurance company just informed her that the injuries would be over the limit, meaning she is responsible for the rest. Imagine what would happen if she only had 20k in coverage (25 is minimum here in Indiana).

I always recommend purchasing the damage waiver even if you have collision coverage because of all of the misc. fees that rental car companies charge (diminution of value, loss of use, etc.)

No doubt about having good bodily injury coverage. If you see part 5 of my coverage you will find it is 250k/500k. Would you recommend buying even more?

No doubt about having good bodily injury coverage. If you see part 5 of my coverage you will find it is 250k/500k. Would you recommend buying even more?

Sorry I missed that. I saw the 20/40 in part 1. Indiana does their coverages a bit different. I think you are fine with that limit.

Make sure the road side assistance your company provides will cover you while driving a rented vehicle. It probably does, but make sure. If it doesn't, you might want to consider their roadside if it's not too much money.

I usually just recommend people get AAA if they want real roadside assistance. It follows the driver, not the car. It also usually provides a better level of service (mileage limit on tow, not just towed to closest service station, things like that).

Back