What Company Provides You the Best Rep?

The ones that work on commission.

one of my carrier reps (I wont mention the carrier) came in one day and asked about a daycare across the street ... I told him I was not to sure but knew the owner a little and he advised me I should go after it.

2 months later I went in and found out he wrote it directly a week after he was in.

I was somewhat mad but not all that mad because we still do write a ton of business together.

But he has no issue going into accounts and taking them and writing them direct.

The ones that work on commission.

one of my carrier reps (I wont mention the carrier) came in one day and asked about a daycare across the street ... I told him I was not to sure but knew the owner a little and he advised me I should go after it.

2 months later I went in and found out he wrote it directly a week after he was in.

I was somewhat mad but not all that mad because we still do write a ton of business together.

But he has no issue going into accounts and taking them and writing them direct.

I would & have cease doing business with a company for that exact reason.

well what took you 2 months to walk over there? Maybe he should have given you some more heads up...but that being said...since when do reps actually prospect & write business??????????

The ones that take me out for a steak!

seriously, its the ones that want to write business most aggressively and show up enough to keep you reminded.

Progressive

Never met the guy he's in another state but he returns calls and goes out of his way to fix problems even for a $400 premium account. He's not the quote me every time and have some free pens rep. He actually tries to help me grow my business by recommending feasible things I can do. Also he has never blamed me for any loses he gets it that there are good and bad years, I say this because a certain carrier rep acted liked it was my fault and lectured me because my client of several years with a perfect driving record totaled a BMW in a snow storm. He also stands up for me when it comes to underwriting if I am having problems with them, he actually used facebook and google earth to help me prove to underwriting that my client lived where they said they did.

Just showing up doesn't do it.
I have one carrier that stopped all pay plans for 30 days while waiting for their rate revision to get approved. Then their revision effectively took them out of the market except for a tiny niche, where they are now just average ratewise, rather than killing it like they used to.
During this time my area gets a new rep who the company hypes up as able to help me game plan to increase sales and profitability. He then shows up after waiting for 5 weeks and wants to talk about what volume I can guarantee them. Remember that niche I said they barely fit now? I figured that out myself. I point blank asked him what market they were after with their revision and didn't get an answer.

That's another pet peeve. Asking a rep what they are good on and getting a general "everything, really" or "quote us on everything". Such a cop out.

I agree with the sentiment that my progressive rep at least tries to be helpful. It's not hard to contact him, he always calls me back promptly if I get his voicemail, and he is always asking me how he can help. Even if I don't know what to ask him, lol.

well what took you 2 months to walk over there? Maybe he should have given you some more heads up...but that being said...since when do reps actually prospect & write business??????????

More and more carriers are going towards reps that are allowed more authority to write business.

Obviously direct writers like Universal Underwriters and Federated do everything direct but more and more open carriers are allowing their reps to bind business if none of the agents in the area will do it.

More and more carriers are going towards reps that are allowed more authority to write business. Obviously direct writers like Universal Underwriters and Federated do everything direct but more and more open carriers are allowing their reps to bind business if none of the agents in the area will do it.
What carriers are allowing this? Philly is the only one I am aware of and they are open market anyway.

Back