What Do You Want A Website To Do?

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
I've been building out a lot of sites lately and am in the process of building out two major sites and wanted to get some feedback from you folks, both in terms of what you want a website to do while you're visiting it and what you expect your websites to do in terms of lead generation.

I suppose the ideal would be to design a site that would appeal to both groups, but the site design seems to fall into one of two schools of thought:

1. Use it as a place to educate and inform without your interacting so folks only contact you if they have questions, maybe even having an online ordering process.

2. Use a site as a place to trap information from folks that have some level of interest and then have the site designed primarily to get that information to you so that you can contact them.

As a consumer I generally want to find the information I'm looking for on a site without having to call anyone, but sometimes I do want to pick up the phone and call. As a business owner I like the idea of having folks order my product without any interaction from me, but I also want to make sure I'm getting a chance to speak with everyone looking to do business with me so I have the best chance at earning the business.

What are your thoughts? Would you rather have a site that attempted to answer all of your questions directly on the site or one that was geared more towards you giving them your information so you can be contacted (or contact them)?

As a consumer I find that I do research on many sites first, so I would be on a professional website for some research. I would care about "my friend said to look at a 'universal life,' what is that?" and then find some places that talk about UL. In my opinion I make a decision on who I do business with based on how informative their website is and how comfortable I feel about a product. I usually make a decision to buy THEN I go to someone to buy it. People can tell me things all day long but I have to grasp and understand it myself first. I could be a minority, though.

What are thoughts about a website that allows you access to some information but in order to get all of it you need to put some personal information in? Obviously it should be worth the price of admission but it gives clients a brief overview and then if they are legitimately interested they read more and the agency has a semi-qualified lead.

Almost like "5 pages and you are done" or "for more advanced information, click here" and then there is some more information but you have to sign up some information to get it.

Thanks for your input and I think in many respects you're not the minority.

I'm inclined to never want to give anyone my information until I'm ready to buy, but there are a lot of folks that insist on building their lists so they offer something of value to have folks register and capture their information. I have my Free Telemarketing Scripts For Everyone! site and I've thought about making folks register for it, but I really do like the idea of the site being helpful and unrestrictive. From a technological perspective it seems like it would only add more layers of complication to the process that creates more of an opportunity for technology to fail and for user error. I suppose that would also make them more likely to say "well, I got all the free information I can out of this, time to find another site" and if you've already managed to get someone to your site, it's probably not a good idea to give them an excuse to leave.

1. Use it as a place to educate and inform without your interacting so folks only contact you if they have questions, maybe even having an online ordering process.

2. Use a site as a place to trap information from folks that have some level of interest and then have the site designed primarily to get that information to you so that you can contact them.

Last time I talked to Brook this seemed to be called 1) Agency Page and 2) "Landing Page/s"

According to Brook (as I recall) one would usually want to get a landing page first. This is designed primarily for lead generation. Then one eventually would want an agency page or main page where you would more or less have credibility on the net I guess.

Has this model as explained to me changed? :skeptical:

Last time I talked to Brook this seemed to be called 1) Agency Page and 2) "Landing Page/s"

According to Brook (as I recall) one would usually want to get a landing page first. This is designed primarily for lead generation. Then one eventually would want an agency page or main page where you would more or less have credibility on the net I guess.

Has this model as explained to me changed? :skeptical:

There are lots of models and there aren't really standards. Even the term landing page doesn't have a single definition. Most folks would consider a 1-2 page website to just capture information a landing page, but there is nothing drastically different between it and a "real" webpage. There is no reason to not use Brook's model, but that doesn't by any stretch mean it's the only one (or even the only one he uses).

Most agents don't have a lot of money and want to create a lead generation page so that's what they'll work on vs an agency type page for actually getting credibility online. There is no reason why you can't do both with a single page, but it's a great deal easier and cheaper to fill out content and build a site for basic lead generation than it is to build out 20 pages of legitimate content.

I have always tried to build informational sites, based on the belief that most folks want more than just rates. Give them information on the topic, a way to run rates if they want, a way to contact me for more detailed information or questions.

I could build a quote and run site, but I have been satisfied with the type of client my sites have attracted over the years.

I have always tried to build informational sites, based on the belief that most folks want more than just rates. Give them information on the topic, a way to run rates if they want, a way to contact me for more detailed information or questions.

I could build a quote and run site, but I have been satisfied with the type of client my sites have attracted over the years.

You are so right Bob. The key is to attract intelligent and emotionally vested (to us) consumers. The visitors that simply want a free quote are an utter waste of time.

The visitors that simply want a free quote are an utter waste of time.

Waste of time Huh?

Here are the email requests for agents that we received from Term4Sale - Instant Term Life Insurance Comparisons during the weekend (which isn't over yet):

Company: Genworth Life and Annuity Insurance Co
Product: Colony Term UL 20 (50K-199K)
Category: 20 Year Level Term Guaranteed
Annual: 1,938.45 Monthly: 166.44

Company: Transamerica Life Insurance Company
Product: Trendsetter Super 20
Annual: 1,203.00 Monthly: 105.26

Company: Principal National Life Insurance Co
Product: 30-Year Term
Category: 30 Year Level Term Guaranteed
Annual: 907.11 Monthly: 79.37

Company: TIAA-CREF Life Insurance Company
Product: 20-Year Level Term
Annual: 670.90 Monthly: 58.70

Company: Ohio National Life Assurance Corporation
Product: FlexTerm Series VIII - 10 Year
Category: 10 Year Level Term Guaranteed
Annual: 155.00 Monthly: 13.41

Company: Cincinnati Life Insurance Company
Product: LifeHorizons Termsetter 15
Category: 15 Year Level Term Guaranteed
Annual: 1,515.00 Monthly: 133.32

Company: United of Omaha Life Insurance Company
Product: Term Life Answers 20
Annual: 5,966.50 Monthly: 531.02

Company: American National Insurance Company
Product: ANICO Signature Term 20
Annual: 1,290.00 Monthly: 111.46​

We estimate that about 1/2 the consumers use the email contact, and the other half simply call the agent directly (by phone).

I must admit that the Ohio National request was a minnow, but sometimes even minnows lead to bigger fish.

Last edited:
How many of those resulted in placed business?

Not sure, but I think the majority from what subscribers tell us. I don't get many complaints that they are tire kickers, and I'm pretty sure subscribers would complain if they are.

Just got another one:

Company: Cincinnati Life Insurance Company
Product: LifeHorizons Termsetter 20 (til 08/31)
Annual: 470.00 Monthly: 41.36

Back