What % of mapd people actually pay the moop if hit ?

DonP

Guru
1000 Post Club
Many moops nation wide $5k-$8300? Since most people in mapd’s low or moderate income I’m willing to bet very few patients who hit those moops actually ever pay most of it . It also got me thinking why drs offices and hospitals hate mapd . It’s not just the Pre authorization of mapd . It’s that few of them ever get the other 20% payment vs getting the 20% payment with Med sups .

Many moops nation wide $5k-$8300? Since most people in mapd’s low or moderate income I’m willing to bet very few patients who hit those moops actually ever pay most of it . It also got me thinking why drs offices and hospitals hate mapd . It’s not just the Pre authorization of mapd . It’s that few of them ever get the other 20% payment vs getting the 20% payment with Med sups .
Even if I only met half of an $8,300 MOOP, I'd spend less with Med Supp, PDP and DVH.

My youngest son is a pharmacist at our local hospital. Part of his job is compounding the specialty drugs. He says his hands always shake when he's mixing an iv drip for cancer patients. He says he mixes one that costs over $10,000 per iv.

Also consider the fact that the MOOP is calendar year. It's possible to hit it in October or November and then again early the following year.

Also notice that MOOPs are going up. What use to be $6,700 is now over $8,000. It's because the companies are adding the costs of all that free crap back in.

That is exactly correct. I used to sell Medicare for the hospital. They did NOT want me to encourage any MAPD plans for that reason.
Of course they own their own MAPD plan now. So that one is OK.

I do not have hard data to share but was told by a local Aetna agent manager approximately 3% of folks on their plan reach their MOP.

Last edited:
I do not hard data to share but was told by a local Aetna agent manager approximately 3% of folks on their plan reach their MOP.

I’ve heard 4% . But even lower income people that rack up $2-$5k of hospital bills in a mapd . Few will or cam pay it . The hospital eats the bill and thus a reason they don’t like mapd .

Regardless of the type of plan you have . . . OM, MAPD, Obamacare, EGH . . . if you don't pay the balance owed the provider will not schedule additional visits.

Providers don't "eat" the bill, it is charged off as a bad debt. Sometimes the patient is turned over to collections . . . rules vary by state.

An unpaid bill results in everyone else paying for the deadbeat who stiffed the provider.

Some hospitals have closed due to unpaid bills. These are mostly in rural areas but can happen in metro areas as well. Unpaid bills also can result in fewer services. It is not unusual for hospitals to close the ER and OB wings due to losses.

Unpaid bills are not covered by fairies, genies or Santa Claus.

Sometimes the patient is turned over to collections
Down here Phoebe is our main hospital. For some, they're only hospital. Although a not for profit corporation, Phoebe won't hesitate to sue the living shit out of you for a nickel and dime bill. Seen it more times than I can count.

Regardless of the type of plan you have . . . OM, MAPD, Obamacare, EGH . . . if you don't pay the balance owed the provider will not schedule additional visits.

Providers don't "eat" the bill, it is charged off as a bad debt. Sometimes the patient is turned over to collections . . . rules vary by state.

An unpaid bill results in everyone else paying for the deadbeat who stiffed the provider.

Some hospitals have closed due to unpaid bills. These are mostly in rural areas but can happen in metro areas as well. Unpaid bills also can result in fewer services. It is not unusual for hospitals to close the ER and OB wings due to losses.

Unpaid bills are not covered by fairies, genies or Santa Claus.

Were not talking dr’s . That’s untrue what your saying . The hospital writes it legitimately off under charitable writeoffs . It’s not like the person is running from debt collectors. They don’t have the money . And yes the hospital will see them again and again . There still getting the bulk of their total bill from the ins company

Were not talking dr’s . That’s untrue what your saying . The hospital writes it legitimately off under charitable writeoffs . It’s not like the person is running from debt collectors. They don’t have the money . And yes the hospital will see them again and again . There still getting the bulk of their total bill from the ins company
Yes we are talking doctors because we're talking about MOOP. Don't know about Arizona, but down here in South Georgia people aren't running from debt collectors they're hauling ass.

Medical debt is so bad that they've changed the laws on debt collection. Debt collectors now have to wait 180 days instead of the usual 30 days before they can add an unpaid medical debt to your credit file. If medical debt is not a serious problem then why did they change the law?

Back