What percentage?

I do my own telemarketing to businesses, and I do Seminar selling to individuals at Libraries, Assisted Living Facilities, Churches, and YMCA's.

When I do telemarketing, I use www.freecrm.com and write a script, so I stay on track, and don't waste time. All my Census forms are in my zip drive, so I can send them whenever I need to.

I have found that if you target some small towns, you will pick up some loyal business, both on the individual market, as well as small group.

You have to be focused, though. You also have to be self-disciplined. I would HIGHLY suggest you use a headphone to do telemarketing. This way, you can get up, walk around, flail your arms, and breathe easier when you speak.

As for what's best, it all depends on what you are most comfortable with. I would recommend, though, once you get up and running, you combine both the in-person approach with the over-the-phone approach. This breaks the monotony.

One suggestion when telemarketing: Speak to people with the tone and cadence in which you would like to be spoken to. Don't try to be slick. Don't try to be flashy. And, for Gosh Sakes, don't ask a question they don't know the answer to. Record yourself. Listen to yourself. Have someone else listen to you, and provide feedback.

Also remember: the person you are calling doesn't know that the person you just called hung up on you. Don't take any baggage with you, from call to call.

As for percentages, some days you will be on the money most of the day, and other days, you will want to pick up the paper and answer the ad to work for Best Buy.

Focus
Activity
Concentrated contact
Time Management

I do my own telemarketing to businesses, and I do Seminar selling to individuals at Libraries, Assisted Living Facilities, Churches, and YMCA's.

When I do telemarketing, I use www.freecrm.com and write a script, so I stay on track, and don't waste time. All my Census forms are in my zip drive, so I can send them whenever I need to.

I have found that if you target some small towns, you will pick up some loyal business, both on the individual market, as well as small group.

You have to be focused, though. You also have to be self-disciplined. I would HIGHLY suggest you use a headphone to do telemarketing. This way, you can get up, walk around, flail your arms, and breathe easier when you speak.

As for what's best, it all depends on what you are most comfortable with. I would recommend, though, once you get up and running, you combine both the in-person approach with the over-the-phone approach. This breaks the monotony.

One suggestion when telemarketing: Speak to people with the tone and cadence in which you would like to be spoken to. Don't try to be slick. Don't try to be flashy. And, for Gosh Sakes, don't ask a question they don't know the answer to. Record yourself. Listen to yourself. Have someone else listen to you, and provide feedback.

Also remember: the person you are calling doesn't know that the person you just called hung up on you. Don't take any baggage with you, from call to call.

As for percentages, some days you will be on the money most of the day, and other days, you will want to pick up the paper and answer the ad to work for Best Buy.

Focus
Activity
Concentrated contact
Time Management

I take it that you buy your lead lists and import the data into freecrm.com or do you just just the software as a guideline.

I agree with targeting small towns. The more remote the better and if you don't think there's a noticeable difference you're wrong. In general the closer you get to cities the more brutal it gets. I have marketers calling the most remote areas of MD - you have to parachute into these places. Fantastic attitudes.

Alsky,
(1) 10%
(2) 45%
(3) 45%

Alsky, I've found that people want someone to explain health insurance to them. That does not mean that they want to see you. You can do well in this industry without leaving you're office chair. However, know your products and underwriting and be available for your clients after the sale or you won't retain clients. Seeing people in person becomes time prohibitive and you on't be able to service existing individual medical customers if you're out on meetings all the time. The only way to do well in individual health is to bring in a lot of new customers AND keep them happy with knowledge and service. Being out on the road prevents that in my opinion and causes burn-out. You will need to see some people but I've found it to be infrequent when you give them the choice of phone/internet and personal meetings. Good luck.

Nice to see you here Jesse. For all who don't know, Jesse is one of the few agents batting it out of the park using shared internet leads. But also to be fair, you sell a lot of Blue Cross and Connecticare.

No, actually, by being a card carrying member of the Dekalb County Library System, I can access referenceusa.com via my computer. I spend maybe 5 minutes doing a custom search, and the rest is phone time.

You see, that is a subscription the library pays for, and provides to me, as a service.

Back