What REALLY happens when the donut hole goes away?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Confession. I haven't paid much attention to the Part D changes for 2020 since it is a LONG time off. Except now it is almost around the corner.

What REALLY happens in 2020?

Read recently that the donut hole doesn't go away, it is simply "absorbed" into the pricing. I more or less figured that, come 2020 premiums and copay's will rise.

But I believe I read that there won't be any copay's, only coinsurance percentages.

And you still have initial coverage then (something else) followed by catastrophic.

So what will 2020 PDP's look like?

Confession. I haven't paid much attention to the Part D changes for 2020 since it is a LONG time off. Except now it is almost around the corner.

What REALLY happens in 2020?

Read recently that the donut hole doesn't go away, it is simply "absorbed" into the pricing. I more or less figured that, come 2020 premiums and copay's will rise.

But I believe I read that there won't be any copay's, only coinsurance percentages.

And you still have initial coverage then (something else) followed by catastrophic.

So what will 2020 PDP's look like?
Technically the Coverage Gap doesn’t go away; it just goes down so it’s effectively eliminated relative to the initial stage. There will still be three stages as now (Initial, Gap, Catastrophic). In 2020 the member cost in the Gap will be 25%, with the carrier and drug company discount picking up the rest as now. The initial and catastrophic stages stay in place.

I was thinking the donut hole co-pay eventually ends up at 20%. Could be wrong.

Its a crapshoot. There are too many variables, with the 3 different contracts that control the pricing. And who knows what DC is going to do next.

Its a crapshoot. There are too many variables, with the 3 different contracts that control the pricing. And who knows what DC is going to do next.
This is pretty much what I have been thinking and telling clients when it comes up. Everything is just speculation until it actually happens.

Everything related to Medicare is controlled by politics, and 2020 is still 2 years and one more election cycle away... That is a lifetime in politics and a lot can still happen/change.

Back