What Type of Insurance Do You Have on Yourself?

LonghornMark

Expert
So I'm looking at a policy on myself and it got me to wondering what type of policies you all had? I used to have a 200k whole life policy that I got into at when I was 22. I cashed it out and it lapsed. At 37 now, I'm not sure if I wanna go the term or whole life route again. I realize now had my agent been worth a damn, he would've put me a cheaper term policy that I would still have today. Oh well. Any thoughts or advice?

So I'm looking at a policy on myself and it got me to wondering what type of policies you all had? I used to have a 200k whole life policy that I got into at when I was 22. I cashed it out and it lapsed. At 37 now, I'm not sure if I wanna go the term or whole life route again. I realize now had my agent been worth a damn, he would've put me a cheaper term policy that I would still have today. Oh well. Any thoughts or advice?

I think term is still a good idea depending on the coverage you are looking for. $1 million in permanent coverage is expensive. There are however some products out there from very good companies that offer permanent solutions with term riders, or a mix of the two as well. I am by no means an expert on those types of policies, but I am sure others here will chime in shortly.

There isn't a one size fits all answer to this question. Age, dependents, health, income, assets and what you're trying to accomplish all play a factor. A term product may be a great solution for some but a terrible one for others.

It is really going to boil down to your current wants and needs.

If death benefit is primary. Term insurance would be a good option till age 67. After age 67 you may have a problem.
I would start the conversation with a GUL built to be paid up by age 60. Blend in term to meet budget goals. WP, ABR and maximum Child Riders of course. I would compare that combo to an ROP Term that has a guaranteed Reduced Paid Up option.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Insurance Forums

Term is useful to cover loans you dont want your cosigners or beneficiaries to suffer for as a result of death. Permanent is better for burial expenses and the like. I tend to stay away from UL and don't like to recommend it, not that its bad but a combo of term and whole is better than one UL

Term until I'm about 67. Should have the house paid off and the kids through college by then. Then a lot less whole life after that... enough to plant me and for the wife to have a big party.

My term ends when I'm 67. My wife has a great retirement plan, house will be paid off, and our savings will cover until she dies.

However, I've told my wife I would hate to have her cry when I die so I told her to go first.

Rick

Back