When clients apply without you

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
I'm new to the quote engine thing but have already had a few people sign up without talking to them - I killed all the "junk" plans from my engine so at least they don't choose "saver" or "right" plans.

But stuff like this is priceless: (email I just got)

"I need you to call me concern my insurance at 410-****** asap. I need how this process will take some of my family need to see doctor"
Of course, check the spelling and that's your typical internet lead

I'm new to the quote engine thing but have already had a few people sign up without talking to them - I killed all the "junk" plans from my engine so at least they don't choose "saver" or "right" plans.

"I need you to call me concern my insurance at 410-****** asap. I need how this process will take some of my family need to see doctor"

This does NOT sound good...

What type of liability would you have if you never spoke to someone and they signed up for a Right/Saver plan? Not saying I disagree with you, but just curious if you think there may be liability if you never speak to the client and they sign up and have a problem down the road?

I do not see how an agent can be held responsible for a decision taken by a client, when the agent was not consulted at all.
Otherwise E-Health would be awash in law suites.

I fail to see how an agent can be held responsible for a decision made by a client if he was not consulted at all.
In these circumstances, surely it is up to the applicant to do his own due diligence.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that E-Health would be awash in law suites if they were to be held responsible for every application made without consulting an agent.

Let's be real. I'm not a lawyer, but I do use common sense.

You can't be sued for simply selling a department of insurance approved carrier plan. If you could, the carriers would be sued so many times, it would be crazy. Doesn't matter what the coverages are, as long as they are properly presented. Of course, you can be sued for misrepresenting a policy and coverage.

The only thing you really have to be careful of is replacing a policy with a policy that has less benefits, or the client has a pre-existing condition that causes them to lose coverage (or get waivered in such states).

Its our job as an agent to provide advice to our clients, and if requested, to make a recommendation given the facts at hand. Many of us have an ethical issue with recommending plans that don't solve the real problem, i.e., many low cost policies. That doesn't mean that if a client buys one, you can be sued just because they did. Personally, I find it just as unethical for an agent to sell a policy to a client that they can't afford, and will likely lapse.

Clients can do whatever they want. If they go tremendously counter to what I recommend, I simply have them sign a form that says such.

We play the role of advisor, not dictator. As an advisor, we have to remember that the client makes the decisions as they see fit, based on our advice. If they chose to bypass our advice entirely, i.e., buy direct online, that is their decision. I would simply add a note to the file that says such, in case something comes up later.

I would also send them a letter offering to review the coverages with them, to make sure it is a good fit. File a copy of the letter. Of course, I would do this with any plan purchased without any input from me.

Dan

I would also send them a letter offering to review the coverages with them, to make sure it is a good fit. File a copy of the letter. Of course, I would do this with any plan purchased without any input from me.
Dan

Excellent suggestion. I should have thought of that. CYA

Sorry about the two almost identical posts, I thought that the first one was'nt going to post. (I waited 10 minutes)

Lucky you. We have maybe one out of 500 quotes apply unassisted - and that is on a good day. Partially because the Norvax quotes are not the most attractive (should get better soon) and partially because the carrier applications are horrible.

I bet $100 this person on your site (John) was uninsured for at least 2 years, and woke up feeling bad today and decided "today was the day". Simply amazing.

Back