When Premiums > Benefits

bcbs told me if husband and wife are the sole 2 employees we do not qualify as a small group?

Historically, that has not been an issue with BCBS.....and I have done it a few times....but its been years now.I'll assume your wife physically shows up on the payroll report.......as opposed to she is there to help you and gets a roof over her head in return.

Suggest you find yourself a good broker that works the group market to help you. Customer service reps are notorious for misunderstanding the question.

Last edited:
Herman is correct, customer service reps are the last people to trust when it comes to product specs and sales guidelines. Especially at BCBS.

I would call the closest regional sales office if I were you. Tell them your an agent looking to cover a 2 person group that is a husband and wife. See what the regional wholesaler says. If he says they can do it, then get appointed and just write it yourself. Its nothing like the old days.... you will have a fixed offering of around 7-8 plans to choose from... pick your poison and get paid an extra $40 per month for it! lol

Aetna has an online quote submission page for small group quotes. I will send you a link and you can just fill out the form and see if they are able to quote a husband/wife group in GA.

If neither of those pan out you can try a broker or contact your local UHC regional office. Problem with a broker, is finding a competent one willing to help for a whopping $40 per month in commission ($20 per enrolled employee).

Herman is correct, customer service reps are the last people to trust when it comes to product specs and sales guidelines. Especially at BCBS.

I would call the closest regional sales office if I were you. Tell them your an agent looking to cover a 2 person group that is a husband and wife. See what the regional wholesaler says. If he says they can do it, then get appointed and just write it yourself. Its nothing like the old days.... you will have a fixed offering of around 7-8 plans to choose from... pick your poison and get paid an extra $40 per month for it! lol

Aetna has an online quote submission page for small group quotes. I will send you a link and you can just fill out the form and see if they are able to quote a husband/wife group in GA.

If neither of those pan out you can try a broker or contact your local UHC regional office. Problem with a broker, is finding a competent one willing to help for a whopping $40 per month in commission ($20 per enrolled employee).

Thanks. I will look for the Aetna link.

With Bcbs there were 60-70 different plans.....just way too many. I checked 10 boxes of plans that looked good and they were all $1500-1800 month.

How would an insurance company know if we are husband and wife? We could be siblings?

----------

Historically, that has not been an issue with BCBS.....and I have done it a few times....but its been years now.I'll assume your wife physically shows up on the payroll report.......as opposed to she is there to help you and gets a roof over her head in return.

Suggest you find yourself a good broker that works the group market to help you. Customer service reps are notorious for misunderstanding the question.

Yes, she phyically shows up on the payroll. Unaware if she has ever once physically shown up for work though.....

I think bcbs possibly changed guidelines in 2014.

Latest posts

Back