When to Ask for the Appointment?

Indiana_Adam

Guru
100+ Post Club
I've finally ironed out a script I'm comfortable with and not looking to change every 5 calls. The folks I'm getting a hold of are either A)hanging up on me in middle of pitch B)responding to my initial question, "Do you recall how much life insurance you have?" and taking control and ending conversation or C) Answering the question and allowing me to proceed a bit more.

Problem B is something I'll get better at with time, just going to take a lot of practice

Problem C I will eventually, but quicker would be better. I know there will be a mixed bag of responses, but how thoroughly do you pre-screen them and how do you transition into asking for the appointment? I've thought about asking for the appointment after my pitch, but I'm guessing I'd get an even lower response rate as I'd not be engaging the prospect.

At the very least, I am asking permission to call back in a few months to see if their situation has changed and noting any information I get such as current carrier, face amounts, and anything else.

And Yes! I have no money so time and trudging through it on the phone or door to door are my two options at this point. Thank you guys and gals.

What exactly is your pitch? My approach to cold calling has been to handle it like the appointment itself.

Introduction, show value, gain acceptance, ask clarifying questions, show value, gain acceptance, close.

A's are going to happen, period; on your B's once you lose control of the conversation, if you can't get it back right away the battle is already lost.

Remember that your goal should NOT be to 'sell everyone' or meet with everyone.

Your scripting should be as much qualifying as disqualifying. If your script is good, and you're cold-calling, people should be disqualifying themselves out from your services.

Let that process work in your favor.

If they are open-minded, they'll meet with you.

If they're closed-minded, or they're on food-stamps, they won't meet with you.

Don't try to talk people into meeting with you when they're too broke or closed-minded.

Don't appear like they're doing you a favor by speaking with you.
Cold calling always puts you in a position of strength. Even though you are extremely busy calling referred leads, or someone who has responded to some marketing, you've taken time out of your busy day to cold call them (if you can get a hold of them that is...).

Back