When to involve Family members/Dementia?

Jon Dough

Expert
Client now about 68, has had MAPD with me about four years. Excellent health--was a bit scatterbrained when we first started but its gotten really bad recently

Called me to ask about Life, which she lost when she quit her PT job. I did the app over the phone, mailed it to her for signature and sent a return envelope. Got it back in a few days--didn't sign it.

She calls me about every three or four weeks--"I get so much stuff are you SURE I dont need to do anything about Medicare? Im glad you took care of the Life plan for me, at least I dont have that to worry about!" (I've told her every time we talk she does NOT have Life coverage)

I asked her to have her daughter call me--never happened. Client called me again this evening , always at 6PM when I have a mouth full of dinner, and left me a 3 minute rambling message. I texted her and asked for her daughters number and she sent it

NOW--WHAT do I say to the daughter? I think I know---just a couple of sentences about my concerns and let her take the convo where SHE wants it to go--if she wants to talk at all.

Advice?

Are you able to meet with the client and her daughter? I would make the time. Explain the situation and get her signed up for some life coverage. You may have limited time so I would move quickly...

FWIW, talking to the daughter about mother's health issues and coverage is a potential HIPAA violation.

Regarding the life app, I presume you are saying the applicant did not sign the app, not you. So basically you have an almost completed app awaiting client signature?

What is your client hoping to do about her Medicare coverage?

I have a bipolar client but everything was handled by the sister who has a POA. I did talk to the client once in the process as did carrier for the voice signature. A few times when I tried to call client she either did not answer or answered then abruptly hung up. This can be very trying but at least I can talk to the sister when direct communication is necessary.

Its only a HIPAA violation if they tell the daughter a health condition the mom disclosed on the app.

This is a situation where a suspected health condition makes this client not legally capable of entering into a legal contract. (ie insurance contract).

Involving a family member is exactly what agents are taught to do when they suspect a client has a mental impairment.

This agent is risking their career if they go through with any of these sales without involving a close/direct relative.

The fact the client is exhibiting this behavior in the evening is also a potential sign of dementia. Get the daughter involved. Make sure it is a late afternoon appointment.

If you ever suspect dementia in a client, always schedule a late afternoon/early evening meeting, this is when the signs are most likely to present themselves.

Just make sure the daughter is the right relative to bring in. It sounds like the OP knows the family situation fairly well already.

Its only a HIPAA violation if they tell the daughter a health condition the mom disclosed on the app.

This is a situation where a suspected health condition makes this client not legally capable of entering into a legal contract. (ie insurance contract).

Involving a family member is exactly what agents are taught to do when they suspect a client has a mental impairment.

This agent is risking their career if they go through with any of these sales without involving a close/direct relative.

The fact the client is exhibiting this behavior in the evening is also a potential sign of dementia. Get the daughter involved. Make sure it is a late afternoon appointment.

If you ever suspect dementia in a client, always schedule a late afternoon/early evening meeting, this is when the signs are most likely to present themselves.

Just make sure the daughter is the right relative to bring in. It sounds like the OP knows the family situation fairly well already.
OP?

Thank you SC thats pretty much the way I had it figured----but I dont want to say so, I want to get ADVICE. Thanks for validating

Last edited:
Years ago I sold a small life policy to a nice older woman. She was very lucid. We discussed the policy, she got her checkbook & signed the check for the first month's premium & the eft form. Everything seemed business as usual. Then a few months later, her son called the carrier's home office & said that she had dementia & shouldn't have bought the policy. The carrier cancelled & refunded all premium. I had no idea. I felt a little scuzzy because I would never want to take advantage of anyone. In your case, I think it is fine to discuss it with the daughter. I'm sure she is aware of the deteriorating situation.

Some county Register of Deeds have websites with POA documents. Would this get around something like that if obtainable?

Some county Register of Deeds have websites with POA documents. Would this get around something like that if obtainable?
I texted the daughter and she said she would be glad to talk to me, hard to tell from a text but seemed pretty reasonable sort. Dont know if she needs to go all the way to POA--but she will soon. Daughter will call me this afternoon

I texted the daughter and she said she would be glad to talk to me, hard to tell from a text but seemed pretty reasonable sort. Dont know if she needs to go all the way to POA--but she will soon. Daughter will call me this afternoon

Good to hear. Conversations like that suck. Good luck with it all.

Back