Where Are You Investing For Retirement ?

1manshow

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pa
Gees...lost another 25K in the last few months in my vanguard mutuals. My annuity is locked in at 4% and I have a stock option each year with a strong insurer that let's me buy at 90% of avg. traded value. Unfortunately, I can't include that stock in my Simple IRA.

Leaning toward putting the 15K for my simple in the annuity and just use extra funds to buy stock.

What are you currently investing in? Am I missing something? I really don't keep close track of this stuff so I'd appreciate any helpful advice.

Re: Where Are You Investing?

If I could it would be property. You can buy a nice home where I live for about 75k and it would be ready to rent. In 15 to 20 years it would be a cash cow. Homes that need a little work can be found closer to 50k.

Gold just a few years ago was under $1,200 an ounce. Today it is over $1,900 an ounce. It is going to keep going up.

Gold will always be gold when any govt folds.

Silver is experiencing a nice dip at the moment as well. Precious Metals investing isn't really as much about investing as it is about hedging inflation.

Why would you buy precious metals now when they have never been more expensive? What happened to buy low sell high?

Why would you buy precious metals now when they have never been more expensive? What happened to buy low sell high?

They are actually not at an all time high at the moment. Silver went from 40's down to high 20's. It's now at ~31. Gold also had a similiar ~150-200 drop per ounce in the past few days.

Also, as I said initially, precious metals "investing" is more about preserving your money, or hedging against inflation.

A good analogy of this is, in 1900 an ounce of gold could buy you a nice suit. In 2000, an ounce of gold also had the ability to buy you that same suit in current dollars.

Last edited:

I just bought a new suit jacket (two actually) for $38 each at Macy's. :)

Back