Where is the Best Place to Meet with Clients?

Aside from your office, where is the best place to meet with clients?

• Their office

Votes: 18 9.1%
  • Their home

Votes: 128 64.6%
  • A restaurant

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • A coffee shop

Votes: 23 11.6%
  • A golf course

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Virtual/online

Votes: 21 10.6%
  • Somewhere else

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
I haven't done F2F in years but here is how I did it.

Business appointments in the clients office. Lot of downside to that. You are on his/her turf. In his/her "den". The client has the psychological advantage. You really have to come across as the expert in your field while acknowledging they are the expert in theirs. A lot of agents can't handle that situation effectively, especially if it is a good size business.

I have made presentations in board rooms with the CFO and attorney present. Talk about intimidating. I knew my stuff and was confident. Still amazed I was able to walk out with checks for $100k and up. Largest was $700k.

That was when I was working the retirement plan market writing mostly GIC's. Very competitive market. Nice payday but you could go months between sales.

Mom and pop business usually has the most distractions. I have made presentations in a cramped office using the copy machine as a table and standing around it.

Made another in a mammoth office that looked like nothing had changed since 1920. The owner sat across the desk eating his sandwich and never made eye contact. He owned a sweat shop and provided group insurance for his 100+ employees. Paid nothing for the health insurance but did pay for the $2,000 life insurance plan. He shopped the business because his monthly premium for life insurance was increasing from $1.80 to $2.20 per employee per month.

I found a health carrier that did not require employer contribution and their life rate was $1.90 per month.

Got the sale.

In home sales have the most distractions. Kids, the phone, TV. Hated in home sales.

I eventually made Starbucks my office. Met people in coffee shops mid morning or mid afternoon. Neutral ground.

I haven't had an office (other than in my home) for over 20 years and won't have people come to my place. If we have to meet it is on neutral ground.

In today's fast paced, high tech communication world, many people prefer to not meet in person. To the connected generation, text and FaceTime are just as personal means of interacting as face to face meetings.

Of course it depends on your market as to places that are available but the best place to meet is anywhere you can conduct an interview under favorable circumstances.

In today's fast paced, high tech communication world, many people prefer to not meet in person. To the connected generation, text and FaceTime are just as personal means of interacting as face to face meetings.

:nah:

As part of the generation that is usually considered the "connected" generation, that just is not true.

The only way I will text a client is if they text me first. Even my close friends who are clients I have only texted to confirm appointments and little things like that.

A proper insurance presentation could never be performed through text. That is just a ridiculous thought. And even the 20 something crowd wants to see your face, hear your voice, and gain a sense of trust about you and your advice.

Video conferencing sure, that can work. I have done it with clients in other states. But if they are within driving distance, clients (even young ones) prefer face to face in my experience.

A lot just depends on the prospecting method. If they responded to your website and are out of state, then phone or video conference. But text?? No way in my opinion.

Last edited:
:nah:

As part of the generation that is usually considered the "connected" generation, that just is not true.

The only way I will text a client is if they text me first. Even my close friends who are clients I have only texted to confirm appointments and little things like that.

A proper insurance presentation could never be performed through text. That is just a ridiculous thought. And even the 20 something crowd wants to see your face, hear your voice, and gain a sense of trust about you and your advice.

Video conferencing sure, that can work. I have done it with clients in other states. But if they are within driving distance, clients (even young ones) prefer face to face in my experience.

A lot just depends on the prospecting method. If they responded to your website and are out of state, then phone or video conference. But text?? No way in my opinion.

You say "that is just not true," and then proceed to say how you communicate via text and video conference. Exactly my point.

Where you meet people today is not always defined by a physical location, it is often defined by the means of communication.

You say "that is just not true," and then proceed to say how you communicate via text and video conference. Exactly my point.

Where you meet people today is not always defined by a physical location, it is often defined by the means of communication.

You did not fully comprehend what I wrote.

You claimed that text is "just as personal" as face to face. Anyone who fully read my post should be able to understand that is the exact opposite of what I wrote.

I said:
And even the 20 something crowd wants to see your face, hear your voice, and gain a sense of trust about you and your advice.

But if they are within driving distance, clients (even young ones) prefer face to face in my experience.

I also said that I ONLY text a client if they text me first.

I do agree that video conferencing can work, especially for long distance. But I would never do that for someone within driving distance unless they requested it... which has NEVER happened.

But this thread is about "meeting with clients". Not confirming appointments, which is what I said is the MOST I have ever done and only with close friends.

A "client meeting" should never happen via text. Besides being grossly unprofessional & extremely ineffective. That is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Not Hardee's. An FE client wanted to meet at a Hardee's in the hood. Seemed weird to me but I figured what the hell, they REALLY didn't want to meet at their house and this was right up the road and there wasn't a coffee shop nearby. In addition to sticking out like a sore thumb being the white guy and in a suit and tie, after my client left the manager asked me to leave because they don't allow soliciting. To be fair they were super nice about it.

Scagnt83 you are indeed a ray of sunshine! Thank you very much for your feedback :)

Its unfortunate that my opposing opinion bothered you. But if you wish to be part of the forum you should get used to it. Perhaps I was a bit blunt. But part of the value of this forum is dissenting opinions about the various subjects. Various experiences brings various opinions. Having your opinion challenged pushes you to think deeper and either confirm your opinion or reassess your position.

So instead of taking a few sentences out of context in an attempt to discredit someones opposing opinion. I would invite you next time to respond with what you see are the merits and logic of your opinion.

But welcome to the forum :1biggrin: How long have you been an agent? What lines of business do you specialize in?

Last edited:
Its unfortunate that my opposing opinion bothered you. But if you wish to be part of the forum you should get used to it. Perhaps I was a bit blunt. But part of the value of this forum is dissenting opinions about the various subjects. Various experiences brings various opinions. Having your opinion challenged pushes you to think deeper and either confirm your opinion or reassess your position.

So instead of taking a few sentences out of context in an attempt to discredit someones opposing opinion. I would invite you next time to respond with what you see are the merits and logic of your opinion.

But welcome to the forum :1biggrin: How long have you been an agent? What lines of business do you specialize in?

That is the great thing about this forum. I almost pointed it out in the thread about which agents to take advice from but thought better about it.

I am a part of another forum and people are too nice. No one is challenged or dismissed even when they are being complete idiots.

Go look at the forum's linkedin group. It sucks because it is just a few self righteous guys that say the same thing over and over and people patting them on the back.

I like the fact that this forum is a little unprofessional. It's good for all who participate.

Back