Where to start working for a newbie

Bryan777

Hello everyone.

I obtained my life insurance license about two months ago and have yet to put it to work. I have managed my own business in the past and have worked in sales for over 3 years. I am not afraid to get after it and feel life insurance is something I would thrive in.

I was going to start working for an over the phone only company as an “independent agent”. The schedule was to be a fixed 9 hour schedule that you have to agree to and after reading the paperwork if I were to decide to leave I would not be able to sell for the specific carriers they carry for over 2 years. At first glance I thought it wouldn’t be bad since I understand I would have to make a sacrifice to dip my toes in the water.

However, after thinking it over I decided it was not for me since I work better without supervision and having a flexible schedule is a big thing for me.

I have been looking and have contacted recruiters working with FFL. They mentioned how successful their guys are and speak highly of their top producers bringing in 20-50k monthly. They also mentioned you have to work hard and be a go getter in order to succeed. I have no problem with any of that and told them that I am confident I can surpass anyone of their top producers since I am very disciplined and competitive when I start something new.

I have done recruiting and aggressive selling in some of my past sales jobs (car sales, jewelry sales, pawn shop sales, cell phone sales, furniture/mattress sales) and not afraid of objections.

After joining this forum I have read about others experiences with FFL and I am now doubting if this is the right place for me to start. I am just having second thoughts on a business that seems to want you to recruit, recruit, and buy leads.

I do not mind doing either but want to know about the experiences of others in different companies that would be newbie friendly.

Thank you all in advance!

I'm the admin on the forum's Facebook group and there's a LOT of 'FFL' agents in it.

The problem with FFL is that it's a "team-building" IMO, which, based on the top levels of compensation, seems to create some wannabe recruiters and behavior that isn't the best for this profession.

If I look at their structure alone, I'd like it just fine... but "birds of a feather..." and all that.

For me personally, I think it's often a "crapshoot" no matter where you go.

You might want to check out this thread and see if the posts on it make sense for you and perhaps even join the Facebook group too.

https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/guidance-for-new-life-agents.29999/

Facebook Groups

Thanks @DHK

I briefly read ove the post and saw some very valid points. I will definitely keep doing my research.

Reactions: DHK
For all the back and forth going on about FFL the young folks are getting licensed. Agents are embracing social media to introduce the opportunity and it seems to be working not to also mention the expansion of offices nationwide.

I guess just like any other company debates not all things are for all people and companies regardless of being labeled a scam or pyramid by posters companies just keep it moving.

Speak to who will be your mentor/trainer. Not the guy at the top you are looking for a current member of the team that has made it beyond 2 years under their leadership. Talk to that person about their experiences.

The company or product doesn't matter as much as the leadership of the person you are reporting to. You have struck gold if your leader tracks his 1st-year agent retention rate. You are in heaven if the company pays the Manager/trainer based on this number.

Ask for the first-year agent retention numbers and if they keep them in a report. If so, look at it if not it doesn't mean that's not a good place to work, however, a good follow-up question would be why don't they track their first-year agent retention.

Last edited:
Back