Which form to apply for Part A & B upon retiring from employer at age 67? 18-F?

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
A client to be asked about this. Looks like form 18-F is the one. A little puzzling with no mention of the usual employer form to prove they had group coverage since turning 65.
Most of the clients I have worked with so far were applying for Part B, and the ones who had to apply for both called Social Security, etc.

A client to be asked about this. Looks like form 18-F is the one. A little puzzling with no mention of the usual employer form to prove they had group coverage since turning 65.
Most of the clients I have worked with so far were applying for Part B, and the ones who had to apply for both called Social Security, etc.
Says on the form if applying for part B special enrollment form cms-l564 needed.

WHAT INFORMATION DO YOU NEED TO COMPLETE THIS APPLICATION?You will need your• Social Security Number• Date of birth• Current address and phone number• Work history• Form CMS-L564 “Request for Employment Information” completed by your employer if you’re signing up for Part A (andhave to pay a premium for it) or Part B during a Special Enrollment Period

You don't need a special form to apply for A . . . just go to SSA.gov.

I have clients apply for A in their late 70's.

Part B is another issue. Requires the employer certification form of continuous creditable coverage since turning 65 + the Part B application.

I have never heard of, nor encountered form 18-F

Not quite the right #, my bad. Thanks for confirming the correct doc.
This one: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/cms-18-f-5-application-part-hospital-insurance.pdf This is the one the spouse needing A&B was given.
You are correct, it asks for the employer form, which I have always understood is required for those applying after their 7 month period post T65 and are covered by employer group insurance.
I told the spouses (wife only needs Part B) they each need the employer form to go with their respective apps, which they only want to do on paper and give to the local Social Security office. Not tech oriented. I have no time at this point to coach folks on getting their mySocialSecurity accounts. ROY I have done & will do. (Rest Of Year after AEP & OEP)

I don’t think many agents know about Form 18-F. It’s a great way to get someone set up with Medicare when online sign up isn’t possible (tech issues, etc), and it’s processed by the LOCAL ssa office.

The form says Part A but you can add Part B along with proof of credible coverage form.

Just called Help Desk at Social Security. That rep stated if someone who is working well past age 65 wants to apply for A & B, there is no paper form for that. They have to apply by phone, online or set up an appointment with the local SS office. Hmmm.

Back